Thread: How smart r you on bass fishing??part one

When it’s hot as hades stay home in the AC and watch fishing shows,on TV
    2019 LMB Total :406 largest 6.5#; Total over 4:56; lifetime largest 9.25
    2019 Crappie Total:50 biggest:2#

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by spidey View Post
    When it’s hot as hades stay home in the AC and watch fishing shows,on TV
    If you never fish when it is hot you will never learn how to catch them good when its hot to make it worth your while to go when its hot.... same goes for the cold.
    Fishscalz, and jerry condrey like this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    If you never fish when it is hot you will never learn how to catch them good when its hot to make it worth your while to go when its hot.... same goes for the cold.
    Love fishing in the cold but yesterday afternoon after an hour decided rather be at home. When fishing from back without electronics etc it’s aguess where they are hiding
    2019 LMB Total :406 largest 6.5#; Total over 4:56; lifetime largest 9.25
    2019 Crappie Total:50 biggest:2#

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by grandpaa View Post
    Fall of the year!!! What bait how deep??
    Lipless cranks, swimbaits, and oversize worms, once the water falls to less than 70 degrees.
    All the usual places, with special attention to riprap.
    Depth usually 15' or less with good water color.

Fish irritability and willingness to chase a lure kind of determines lures and presentations I use regardless the time of year.
    Look at the variety of lure shapes, sizes and actions I recently posted in this thread:
    https://www.ncangler.com/forums/thre...t-some-action!

Prespawn bass, where I fish hit topwater lures, travel sometimes over 10' to smack them in shallow water 6' or less near or on potential spawning flats. (Note: bass on beds don't leave the nest to attack anything and I refuse to fish for bass on a bed.) Here's a favorite of mine - Lake Fork Frog:

.. this one I made using a table spoon for a mold:

Once the spawn is over with water temperatures rising, structure types and depth determine what I cast.

There are a few shallow lakes I live near where many lure types work when the water temperature is 70 - 85 degrees. Here are a few examples.

skirted jig & different trailer designs such as this copy of a pork frog (still have no idea why it was named that):

...and a similar shape that has less active tails:

...as well as trailers that have maximum action and flap like crazy! :

(plaster of Paris molds I made)
    Note: a skirted jig with any of the above trailers can be used like a spinnerbait and moved parallel to the bottom.

Wacky rigged plastic sticks can be worked different ways regardless of length and have in common tip twitches & body wobble:

One of the most versatile rigs is a Kut Tail Worm (G.Y.) rigged on a 1/32 oz jig head:

The body and tail action is incredible when you twitch it in and near vegetation, allowing it to pause briefly. I attached the tail to a grub body for bulk and it did as well:

Even panfish attacked it:

Please note: the Kut Tail and Slider worms have subtle finesse-lure actions, this Riverside Big Bag Worm just the opposite:

The Slider Worm is a classic all-species lure and works most any time of year because of its unique body/tail design:

For some reason spinnerbaits with mega flash get bass riled up such as this unique tandem blade rig I came up with:

Being 3/4 oz, I use it to punch through weed pockets or down steep drops. Once it's jerked off bottom, bass attack.
    Note: Large willow leaf bladed spinnerbaits that won Roland Martin a BASS tournament on the Hudson R, NY, did well for me the first time I use them in different lakes.

The most important lure factors in my book are lure size and action. Note the difference:

Fish determine what they attack any time of day and sometimes bigger is better especially when big bass are around that don't take lightly to a big loud trespasser. In fact, it may ignore small lures worked slowly as not worth the effort.

Sorry if my posts/ replies are lengthy. Other than fishing, lure craft & design is another obsession - especially when it's too cold to fish. But after catching so many fish of many species in many different lakes, in tournaments or for fun, using many lure types, all I know is - you don't know if you don't cast it.
    jerry condrey likes this.

This has turned out to be a big help for everyone!!! Something everyone can turn to. To help them catch fish!! But for me my electronics!!! Tells me how deep temperature water where fish are holding!! Shows me any bait fish that are out there!! My eyes underwater!!
    Faith and prayers are strongest things in life we have!!!!!!!!!!!

Done spring summer and fall!!! Not everyone but some of us do fish wintertime!! This will be more detail!! Winter time bass fishing! What lures do you use!! What water temperature are you looking for!! Also how deep going to fish!!!
    Faith and prayers are strongest things in life we have!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had many good days in high summer throwing a pink floating worm along grass beds at Badin at first light. Usually good fish too.

Winter time, I like the Pointer and Stay Cee by Lucky Craft. Also, shaky head worms in front of trees. Jigs...

Winter 2014 I think it was (two days after Christmas), on the advice of a kind soul who shared info, I went to Badin and fished the sheer rock bluffs around the main large peninsula that divides the Yadkin side from the East side of the lake, along the Western facing portion from the main point going North. Was working 30 feet of water 10 feet off the 'bank' there... threw a Pointer (one that suspends around 6 feet) and worked that bluff real slow with it. Hooked up on a nice nearly 6 pounder doing that. Got some more fish on long deeper rock points north of there using a C-rig Speed Craw as well.

But we were talking about Fall. Don't forget your crankbaits around rock and deeper wood cover.
    jerry condrey likes this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Quote Originally Posted by grandpaa View Post
    Done spring summer and fall!!! Not everyone but some of us do fish wintertime!! This will be more detail!! Winter time bass fishing! What lures do you use!! What water temperature are you looking for!! Also how deep going to fish!!!
    Crankbait... If water temps are in the low to mid 40s, I chase the warmest water I can find, upper 40s I dont worry about it so much. I am not slowing down, I am not going deep and I am going to catch them.

I am not convinced that winter fish are near as sluggish as many believe them to be. They dang near swallow my crankbait, run slack in my line and pull like mules.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

I am not convinced that winter fish are near as sluggish as many believe them to be. They dang near swallow my crankbait, run slack in my line and pull like mules.
    Cold blooded, they strike just as hard though the fight may be shorter.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123