Canoe Fishing in the area, advice

Thread: Canoe Fishing in the area, advice

Default Canoe Fishing in the area, advice

Hey guys,
    My cousin is coming out from Colorado in a few weeks and he's big into bass fishing. I want to take him to some good fishing spots here in NC. We'll be paddling my Discovery 158 canoe...and maybe we'll rent a jonboat where they are available. I was thinking Harris, Wheeler, Panther Lake, Falls Lake (probably Beaver Dam), maybe Lake Benson (rent a jonboat there I guess?). I'd like to hit up Jordan Lake as well, but I've never taken the canoe out there. Any advice as to where at Jordan I should take him, and any other spots I might be missing? Would like to stay fairly close to the Raleigh area. We'll probably go out super early to beat the heat and get on the early morning bite.
    I would love to put him on some big bass while he's here!!
    Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you don't want to keep the fish, try Lake Crabtree out next to the RDU Airport.

Excellent place for catfish and carp. Other species as well but not as predominant.
    JM76 likes this.

Thanks! We're specifically looking for LMB, so we'll probably skip out on Crabtree. (Though I would like to take my wife and kids for a paddle there one of these days...)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

LMB can be caught at Umsted.
    However, this time of year it's more difficult.
    JM76 likes this.

Yeah we'll probably stick to Harris and Jordan, maybe Falls. Has anyone had much luck at Weaver Creek (Jordan Lake)?

Quote Originally Posted by JM76 View Post
    Yeah we'll probably stick to Harris and Jordan, maybe Falls. Has anyone had much luck at Weaver Creek (Jordan Lake)?
    Last year my luck on Weaver Creek was terrible, but this year has been much better. It doesn’t seem to have as many big fish as Harris or other parts of Jordan, but has a catchable population of 3-4 pound fish.

My mistake initially was I didn’t look at any charts and spent a lot of time fishing long stretches of featureless bottom. But I kept going back since it is a really nice, quiet place to get used to my kayak.

Since then I got a fishfinder and have focused on areas where there is some transition or structure with much better results. The fishfinder helps, but most of what I use it for could be done with a map and a little guesswork.
    JM76 likes this.

My cousin went back to Colorado on Saturday. We fished Harris and Panther lake and man the bite was tough! We were getting out there at 6 AM every day. Lots of topwater. Caught maybe 8 bass and 1 huge bowfin.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements