Weekend at Phelps

Thread: Weekend at Phelps

Default Weekend at Phelps

Fished two days, caught about 15 bigmouths between 1 1/2 and 3 lbs... lost a solid 8+ dandy. Really wanted to get on the bream but the beds were few and far between even just ahead of this full moon... water was way too hot. Lots of fish in the grass you couldn't get to. Tried at night with jitterbugs and other topwater with no luck.
    Chris52, and flatswamp like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shoaldonkey View Post
    Fished two days, caught about 15 bigmouths between 1 1/2 and 3 lbs... lost a solid 8+ dandy. Really wanted to get on the bream but the beds were few and far between even just ahead of this full moon... water was way too hot. Lots of fish in the grass you couldn't get to. Tried at night with jitterbugs and other topwater with no luck.
    The way to get to those fish in that grass is with a fly rod.

The only thing you could have gotten those fish with is a healthy dose of Rotenone or a stick of dynamite. Down here, when we say grass, we mean in the reeds and root mat chest high, not hanging out in a few lily pads and little hydrilla you can drop a fly in.
    Feetup1 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shoaldonkey View Post
    The only thing you could have gotten those fish with is a healthy dose of Rotenone or a stick of dynamite. Down here, when we say grass, we mean in the reeds and root mat chest high, not hanging out in a few lily pads and little hydrilla you can drop a fly in.
    I've fished Phelps many times. You can get a fly anywhere it needs to go. Gear lacks the necessary accuracy.

I'm guessing those trips weren't in July/August. It's not about accuracy. Its about not seeing fish you could even attempt to to cast to if you wanted to and like I said, in reeds so dense the hand full that squirt out have to wriggle back into like they're going to get stuck. The fish we caught were by happenstance at first light when they were moving from one piece of cover to the next. While I'd agree you can burn em up in April/May, your fly from your "accurate" gear would be hanging in a tangled mess about 4' off the water right now, but I digress.

I think the only way to try and get to fish like that is using a long pole and dropping it in the "gaps". Like a 12 ft crappy pole where you can just drop a bait straight down on a fish in the grass.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements