Hb 483

Thread: Hb 483

Default Hb 483

Looks like the bill is postponed till next year. Taking a guess that some of you have thought about this a little. Just a guess.
    Mr. Wizard likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good. The General Assembly needs to stay out of this. No matter what you think of the Division of Marine Fisheries, at least their work and recommendations are based on science and (mostly) sound management practices. The politicians need to stay out of fisheries management!
    satguy likes this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Screen shot of what I was sent today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	20190715_212122_1563240567591.jpg‎
Views:	126
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	195103

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chris52 View Post
    Good. The General Assembly needs to stay out of this. No matter what you think of the Division of Marine Fisheries, at least their work and recommendations are based on science and (mostly) sound management practices. The politicians need to stay out of fisheries management!
    IMO, The DMF has failed miserably since the fisheries reform act was implemented in the late 90s. It has become nothing more than bureaucratic red tape to protect commercial fishing interests.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Quote Originally Posted by crappie89 View Post
    IMO, The DMF has failed miserably since the fisheries reform act was implemented in the late 90s. It has become nothing more than bureaucratic red tape to protect commercial fishing interests.
    I get it, guys, I really do. Recreational anglers do not hurt the fishery, but we are vastly out-gunned. But I don't think the GA can possibly do a better job. With ZIP experience, partisan-ism, and geography (they will turn this into an east vs. the west issue) it will quickly become a bigger mess than it already is. AND we will have one additional layer of government and conflicting regulations.

I will stand down on this thread now, and let some others weigh in on the issue. Not looking to pick a fight—we all have an opinion, which I can respect.
    crappie89 likes this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Opinions do matter, but facts and data trump opinions. By their failure to act on depletion of our marine resources DMF has proven that they follow the money and not the science. Therefore, it is imperative that the legislature get involved. If DMF had followed the lead of WRC in successful restocking of turkey, protections for deer and bear, implementing size and creel limits on many species of freshwater fish, then 483 would not be necessary.
    brhunt, and crappie89 like this.

The dmf is a joke

I love flounder! I bring in less than100 per year. One solo commercial gigger will beat my years worth in one night. No clue about commercial rules, but I stick to 4/person strict!! Not a guide. 9 years of work for this guy to find my spots that work: wind, tide, etc...Wade gigging isn't as easy as you think. Trial and error. Many nights of zero. Put up new laws if they are solid. Sorry, belly is full on flounder now.
    Saltwater Republic likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements