24 Hours Ago; It Happened
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24 Hours Ago; It Happened

Default 24 Hours Ago; It Happened

I have a boat. 18 foot center console. 3 years old with a 115hp Mercury. For some reason; I got the wild idea to see if my friend still had his old kayak and wanted to come east and hit the water. I figured we wouldn’t have the crowds or go through the hassle of the boat ramp. But, I had my reservations.

Of course the irrational ones came first. You know the kind. Scenes from “Jaws”, “Anaconda” and “Lake Placid” pop in your head. Then the personal criticisms “well, I’m out of shape” and “I’ll tip over in it”.

Well, This past Saturday morning at 5:30am, I put my 6 foot 230 pound frame in a kayak for the first time. My friend in his Perception Pescador Pilot and I in his cousins Perception Pescador caught us limit on crappie. It was a great day.

The kayak was more fun than I thought. We probably paddled 4-5 miles and I definitely felt it this morning. Feels like I was at the gym all day.

I even have my wife interested in them. We went to Academy and looked today. I liked the Pelican The Catch 130 with and I also liked the Perception I was in.

Looking online, I see a large number of confusing reviews and I’m working to peel them back. I’ve spent all day on YouTube. I would like to add kayak fishing to my life and maybe get my wife more involved. She doesn’t like my boat because it’s uncomfortable......it’s for fishing haha. But, kayak fishing offers something different than a power boat. Something about it seems a bit more relaxing than taking my big boat out and even if not fishing; kayaking alone is fun.

I’ll try to read up on here and see what people recommend. I don’t want a beginner kayak with minimal bells and whistles; even though I technically am a beginner, but I also don’t want the creme of the crop in the $4K range. I think $500-$2000 is about where I’ll be. Looking for suggestions if you got them or some cool stories if you have those too.

Thanks!
    Chris52, and lostnwilderness like this.

There are some things in life that you just cannot do anything about. They just are and they were going to be regardless. Live, laugh, love. RED X ANGLER

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The boats you mentioned are good choices. I think you'd be really happy with the Old Town Topwater 120, a nice step up for not much more money. NuCanoe Frontier 12 is very popular around these parts and for good reason.
    Ninja Rooster likes this.

I would look for a used pedal yak. They usually are not good paddle yaks but if fishing is your end game there is nothing like being able to be hands free and concentrate on fishing rather than cast,reel,put rod down, pick up paddle, adjust direction, reel some more, paddle,repeat.

If you are not in a hurry there are some deals out there. Cost wise you will probably be in the $1000+ range for a pedal yak.
    ~JOE~

Solo Dei Gloria

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EvBlue View Post
    The boats you mentioned are good choices. I think you'd be really happy with the Old Town Topwater 120, a nice step up for not much more money. NuCanoe Frontier 12 is very popular around these parts and for good reason.
    I will take a look at the Nucanoe. I had looked at the old town kayak as well as a 13’ Brooklyn with peddle Drive. Not too bad. Just don’t know if I really need peddle Drive.
    GreyGhost likes this.

There are some things in life that you just cannot do anything about. They just are and they were going to be regardless. Live, laugh, love. RED X ANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by Joetrain View Post
    I would look for a used pedal yak. They usually are not good paddle yaks but if fishing is your end game there is nothing like being able to be hands free and concentrate on fishing rather than cast,reel,put rod down, pick up paddle, adjust direction, reel some more, paddle,repeat.

If you are not in a hurry there are some deals out there. Cost wise you will probably be in the $1000+ range for a pedal yak.
    ~JOE~
    Thanks. I’ve looked for some used around here and saw a couple I though were decent deals. Little skeptical of anything used. I’m also struggling with whether or not I really need peddle Drive. Just seems to take up a whole lot of space.

Im headed to the NCAngler classifieds now haha

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Rooster View Post
    Thanks. I’ve looked for some used around here and saw a couple I though were decent deals. Little skeptical of anything used. I’m also struggling with whether or not I really need peddle Drive. Just seems to take up a whole lot of space.

Im headed to the NCAngler classifieds now haha
    Im a bit bias on pedal drives since I own Hobies but here is my take. Pedal drive frees up your hands for casting and leg power last longer than paddling.
    Ninja Rooster, and Wellred like this.

Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

For lakes or coastal I would look hard at the pedal drives. Extend your range with less effort.
    Totally useless on the rivers I fish.

I fished for years using a paddle. The first time I got in my Hobie I immediately knew it was the way to go. If I didn’t fish then a paddle boat would suffice. I would rather have a fishing rod in my hand than a paddle.

You should try and at least demo some boats before you buy. I know a number of people that bought a yak and later found it wasn’t really what they wanted and ended up getting a better one.

You are welcome to try mine out for a test spin if you are ever in Youngsville.
    ~JOE~

Solo Dei Gloria

Don’t give up on a new boat. You are coming into sale season, and could score a big savings. This time last year I got my Perception Pescador Pilot (peddle) on sale for $350 off at West Marine. Great Outdoor Provision Company, and Austin Canoe and Kayak, are already advertising some good sale prices now. Just keep checking in on their websites. Good luck!

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Im a bit bias on pedal drives since I own Hobies but here is my take. Pedal drive frees up your hands for casting and leg power last longer than paddling.
    Friend has one and he was in it Saturday but noticed he spent a lot of time paddling versus peddling. Asked him about it last night; says its nice to have but doesn't use it often. So many decisions to make haha

Quote Originally Posted by EvBlue View Post
    For lakes or coastal I would look hard at the pedal drives. Extend your range with less effort.
    Totally useless on the rivers I fish.
    I'll keep looking for both. Still trying to determine if the prop kind or fin kind are best and why they're different. Youtube is full of opinions so Im watching alot of vids.

Quote Originally Posted by Joetrain View Post
    I fished for years using a paddle. The first time I got in my Hobie I immediately knew it was the way to go. If I didn’t fish then a paddle boat would suffice. I would rather have a fishing rod in my hand than a paddle.

You should try and at least demo some boats before you buy. I know a number of people that bought a yak and later found it wasn’t really what they wanted and ended up getting a better one.

You are welcome to try mine out for a test spin if you are ever in Youngsville.
    ~JOE~
    I appreciate that. I've been looking for demo's in my area. Not too many offered. I found many that have already past.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris52 View Post
    Don’t give up on a new boat. You are coming into sale season, and could score a big savings. This time last year I got my Perception Pescador Pilot (peddle) on sale for $350 off at West Marine. Great Outdoor Provision Company, and Austin Canoe and Kayak, are already advertising some good sale prices now. Just keep checking in on their websites. Good luck!
    Got them all saved to my favorites tab. The Pelican The Catch 130 is peddle or paddle and is listed at Academy for $1499. Want to look at it closer but is on the wall. I want to make sure which ever one I get has a decent amount of cockpit space for tools. As stupid as this sounds.....I also want a cup holder.

Opinion..

Pedal vs Paddle - Pedal is definitely faster, and allows your hands to be free for casting. But totally useless on rocky rivers, heavier, and requires regular maintenance. If you want to get into places with your kayak that you can't with your boat (and you may quickly find that the Uhwarrie is calling your name, or the Yadkin, or the Dan, or the New River) the paddle may be a better choice. You can introduce yourself to the addiction of smallmouth bassing… Incredible fun. Your call, but I don't find the pedal to be useful for me.

A few kayaks to look at.. I am assuming you value stability and openness over speed. All are in the 70-90lb weight range, and suitable for larger people.

- My kayak is a NuCanoe Frontier 12. Nothing is as stable, and it is as open as you want. I do NOT like their current mesh seat... You can save a few hundred dollars by buying it without the seat, and buying a NuCanoe tall base and a Jon Boat seat from Walmart.

- Take a good look at the Bonafide SS127. Nice boats

- The Old Town topwater is nice

Jackson has a Mayfly which is expensive, but very capable. I lke that one a lot.

G/L. Academy has mainly the beginner kayaks you mention...
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Ok, First question
    Pedal vs Paddle.

Pedal..Pros: cover more ground faster,Not as much wear and tear on the shoulders,arms. Cons: moving parts to break,most pedal drive boats have difficulty in shallow water because you would have to pull the pedal unit up to go shallow on most boats,leaving you to paddle, COST
    Paddle: Pros: A tad quieter,Good in shallower water,Upper body workout,COST Cons: Slower,a tad less maneuverable (not all paddle boats have a rudder).
    This is a very short list of Pros/Cons for both kinds of boats.
    I have paddled and pedaled a lot of different boats and I haven't found a pedal boat that is comfortable for me. It seems that the foot pedals make me feel like my knees are under my chin,or, I am laying flat on my back pedaling,neither of which is appealing to me.
    I went with the Jackson Big Rig. Its set up for fishing,it carries a huge weight capacity is stable enough to stand in, and is comfortable to me. That boat is in your stated price range as well.
    I am also in the process of getting a Native SlayerXC. It is also set up for fishing, wide and stable and comfy. This boat is a bit smaller than the Big Rig,but still stable.
    GetOutdoors, in Greensboro does kayak demos at least once a month in the area local to the Triad area. You can test paddle a ton of different boats and see what id comfy to you. Comfort is the biggest deciding factor to me. I dont care what bells and whistles a boat has, if it isn't comfortable, you wont use it.
    biglenr, Ninja Rooster, and SurfRider like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast