Offshore Anyone target Croaker?

Thread: Anyone target Croaker?

Default Anyone target Croaker?

Where would i search for bigger ones and what bait is best? Thinking squid.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I catch a lot of them in the turning basin in the late fall and early spring while fishing for spots and sea mullets. Never any big ones. I hear the big ones are in Va.
    roostertail24 likes this.

James River Bridge area has the biggest ones I've ever seen.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Used to catch some pretty good ones near the 172 bridge in Sneads Ferry and yes squid was the bait of choice.

Croaker is one of the fish that is being destroyed by trawling in the Pamlico. The days of the big runs are over unless the regulations change on commercial fishing.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Powers View Post
    James River Bridge area has the biggest ones I've ever seen.
    <br>
    <br>
    Don't know what its like now, but used to fish Chesapeake bay and around Oyster 10-15 years ago. Caught hundreds of them some days. Its hard for anyone who has never been to believe it considering how small they are in NC, but some of them were nearly the size of puppy drum. They'd be so thick and aggressive you couldn't fish for anything else some days.&nbsp;

I remember the days of croakers that big in Pamlico Sound and with nice grey trout mixed in to them. Lots of folks would fish out of Swanquater, Hobucken, Bayboro, etc. Those days are long gone until things change. Back then you'd see some but not many smaller shrimp/crab trawlers but not like what you see today out there. Gillnets were hauled by hand and stored in trashcans, tote boxes etc vs on big hydraulic reels. Folks even got along with each other back in those days.

Yessir... I'm just old enough to remember the boys pulling spot nets up on the beach with Farmall tractors. You don't get those days back.

I think they are still doing some stop netting on Bogue Banks. Interesting to see what all comes in with the haul.

I've caught them on shrimp and cut bait. Always fun to catch.

Aint we glad that we are old enough to remember those big croakers. You guess these young people will ever see that in their lifetime... Kinda sad.... My folks always called them Golden Croakers, because of the color on their throat..
    Feetup1 likes this.

Yea I remember the cooler fulls of yellow belly spots also. We ate from what we caught. Shrimp or blood worms. We rarely had blood warms because they were so expensive to us.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGMAN View Post
    You guess these young people will ever see that in their lifetime... Kinda sad.... My folks always called them Golden Croakers, because of the color on their throat..
    I they will and I agree its pretty sad.. lots of angling opportunities in NC, but the catching can leave a little to be desired.. not much better way to get a kid hooked on fishing than a bottom rig and fish so thick they can't reel up tight before they have two on!

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements