Fishhook removal trick

Thread: Fishhook removal trick

Default Fishhook removal trick

Hey there fellow Anglers

Wanted to share with you a fishhook removal trick I found online after my own recent misadventure

https://youtu.be/VB1CoObzmPw

Happy Fishing

DH

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Glad it was the pig and not me.
    ~JOE~
    Solo Dei Gloria

Not a fan of that 40/60 split. The method I have seen that I like, although I have not had to use it yet (but there's that word "yet") is to just push the eyelet down to the skin and yank quickly.

something like this . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Re91_P7KE

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

I always try to have ice on board and numb the area before removing. It helps a lot, believe me. Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fishscalz likes this.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

Agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisfishing View Post
    I always try to have ice on board and numb the area before removing. It helps a lot, believe me. Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed! Loop some line, whatever is at hand, around the curve of the hook, hold the eye down if you can, and SNATCH QUICK! Personally I think ice will slow the blood flow which will clean the wound and acting quickly will give you less time to reflect on the pain!

Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

Loop some 50 pound braid around the bend in the hook, push down on the eye of the hook, and snatch it out with one hard yank. Zero pain and the plug had another king on it before the rod was back in the holder.

Default Fishhook removal trick

These are essentially the same methods. I have done this three times now, sadly. I will advise, you need another person to do this for you if the hook is in your own hand or arm. If you are alone and the hook is in your finger, which is not that uncommon a variation of the circumstance, you will need to just numb it if you have ice and just crank it through to expose the barb and smash or cut the barb. Don't ask me how I know. If there is someone there to hold the shank down at the right angle, it works great. If not, it just hurts like crazy and doesn't come out.

Additionally, regardless of how you remove it, there is soft tissue damage and inflammation that will often ensue. You can dismiss it as bunk, but having done this with and without the following, I recommend carrying in your tackle box a small glass vial with the following mix of high-quality essential oils:
    - 10 mL fractionated (liquid) coconut oil
    - 10 drops of lavender
    - 10 drops frankincense
    - 5 drop tea tree

Frankincense is expensive if you get good quality, but the healing properties are noticeable. I got my finger crushed between my 23 foot boat being pushed by wind into a dock and the dock piling after my hand slipped while catching the piling (hand went to the gunwhale, finger in just the wrong place) and had a really impressive crush injury (later xray showed it broke the tip, which I knew when it happened, but oh the internal bleeding and the swelling). I doused it with frankincense oil several times per day, and you wouldn't believe the difference. I'll post pictures if I find them.

EDIT for photos:

3 hours after the injury, at that point I was 12 miles out and catching snapper so I just kept going:

7 hours after while washing the boat down after fishing all day. It had progressively gotten more tight and swollen, and I was losing feeling in the tip of the finger, so I went to the ER to make sure I wasn’t developing compartment syndrome (so much swelling it cuts off blood flow and causes tissue death):

X-ray from the ER showing the separated bone. ER doc and Orthopedist decided it had not caused compartment syndrome, so I just had to let it heal:

The next afternoon after dousing with pure frankincense multiple times. It was amazing how fast the swelling and pain went down - I have time stamps on the pictures to prove it was 25 hours later:

That should not have gotten that much better that fast. The point is that I have used this stuff on my own injuries and it really works.

If I have a plug with treble hooks and a fish that's flopping, I have learned to just use grips or a good hook-stopping glove. Learned the hard way. But I still carry my balm on every trip now!
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements