NC Angler Forums banner

Lake mackintosh

4K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  grandpaa 
#1 ·
Went to McIntosh today!! Lo and behold they finally done it!! They shut down all bass tournament on that lake!! May have closed all tournaments down for crappie and catfish!! They said these tournaments are killing too many fish!! About time lakes started doing this!!

#2 ·
Ment to tell u!! I cought I don't know !! How many big slabs of crappy I cought!! I was using gulp 2.5 minnow's!!! Got them at Walmart!! I hooked them to Whit's road runner!! I was casting them !! Fish showed up at 15 to14 foot deep!! I cast out and counted it down!! What a great day!! Extra happy no more tournament!! On this lake this year!!!!!!

#4 ·
Coming in to the ramps during summer and seeing all the dead bass that were 'released alive' has changed my tune on tournaments over the years. Bass kept for eating at least are theoretically within certain limits, many are smaller to medium sized as they taste better anyway (from what I have been told), so they aren't killing the biggest and fittest of the breeders; and that at least is a resource typically being utilized by local residents who pay the taxes that keep the lakes in operation.

The bass from tournaments are by definition the biggest ones caught, and they are killed often by anglers who aren't even from the area. I fished some tournaments with a small local club for a couple years, even won a couple, and even in that small setting I was dismayed at the mortality I saw. Even with smaller tournaments, in the weigh-ins my partner and I stood in line for 15 to 25 minutes, and we were the only ones with Bubble Box aerators running on our bags, usually two per bag. People thought we were silly, but I was happy with the result. Sometimes our fish would actually flop out of the hopper during the measurement they were so lively; I never understood why no one else cared to aerate their bags... those things probably have a couple of minutes of oxygen in them for the large fish they are holding. I stopped tournament fishing and haven't looked back, I just don't do it anymore, I don't want to be part of it. That's why I like venues like Major League Fishing - the fish are released usually in under 45 seconds.

Smaller munincipal lakes should not be subject to the pressure and mortality brought to bear by tournaments. Yes, people eat bass, something I never do, but there are bag and *size* limits put in place to control that. Tournaments bypass those limits by 'releasing the fish alive' but especially during summer many die after release. There is no way to account for the disruption in spawning caused by bed-picking during Spring tournaments but it can't be good for the bass stock. In larger lakes the impact I think goes down because of sheer numbers of spawning fish in the lake versus numbers brought to weigh in during tournaments, but on the smaller lakes having tournaments almost every weekend I think is just too much.

Numbers are one thing, but I bet more big breeder bass are killed by tournaments than the 'local eaters' would ever come close to approaching.

#5 ·
I agree with you on that!! You said a lot but nails it!! The worst I've seen was randleman lake!! After bass tournament!! The next day there was dead bass!! Around docks, floating!! This is why Randelman not putting out good numbers anymore!! Kick tournaments out!!! They kill the fishing population!!! Seen to munch of this!!

#6 ·
I was there last week, when Mgr told me about this!! He said there not putting up with these tournaments!! Killing off the fish the way it has been doing!! Even showed me some pics!!! He said that's a very good lake!! They are going to keep it that way!!! I understand!! This is everyone's lake!! Not just tournaments, everyone!! When they come in and kill fish!! Past time to close them down!!! That's what I believe, u do too!! If you think about!! I all ways see kids with Dad n grandparents, other family members!!

#7 ·
Not all tournaments are like that. In fact, I would say most aren’t. There are some that have unfortunate results, for sure, but all should not be branded by a few. Same with Harley riders, I suppose...hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Not all tournaments are like that. In fact, I would say most aren’t. There are some that have unfortunate results, for sure, but all should not be branded by a few. Same with Harley riders, I suppose...hahaha!
You have certainly fished exponentially more tournaments than I have, so I respect your opinion. I am going by my own observations coming to the lake and either returning to the ramp several hours after the weigh-in or at dawn the next morning. That and standing in a weigh-in line worried about whether my bass have enough oxygen (with two aerators running) while looking around me at stud bass packed like sardines in a few gallons of water. I imagined putting an air filled trash bag over my head and tying it around my neck and thinking how long would I want to stand there.

I don't blame the folks running Mackintosh for banning tournaments, I think it's a positive step. If there need to be tournaments, keep them on the larger lakes like Norman where the relative impact on the bass population is lower just because of sheer numbers, but for the smaller munincipal lakes I'd just assume see more of them take that stance. The best bass fishing experience I have ever seen was on a small munincipal lake in the piedmont that I fished from 1992 till around 2014, and that lake minimized fishing pressure by opening only 3 days a week, closed 3 months during winter, and had *zero* tournaments.... and for twenty+ years it has been the best bass fishing in the southeast, though few knew it. I don't believe that is a coincidence.

#11 ·
#14 ·
I used to fish tournaments, and can say with all honesty I have rarely noticed dead bass floating. That being said, it's not like I hung around to count them. I do think that tourneys should limited to the larger lakes however. Like High Rock, Badin, etc.
And I don't believe in these events being held during the spawning season, or hot weather..

#15 ·
First I can say,I understand what everyone is saying! But I have a one fix that fits all!!The days of 3,4,5 creel fish!! Should end!! Make it ten times better!!! Separate the men from the boys!! A one fish!! Yes one fish!!! That will bring winner's with in Oz's of each other!! Doing this way, will make 10xs a better Fisher men out of everyone!! In doing that will draw more people into it!! To me that's a true Bass tournament!! Think about it??? Everybody walks a way happy!!

#16 ·
You’re suggesting catching only ONE fish and when you have the one, that’s it?

Nah...wouldn’t be interested in that. Promotes a lucky catch versus skill in catching more average solid fish.

Tourneys used to have 10 and 15 fish limits. That was overkill in my opinion and I think 5 is a good number. I think the best practice for any tournament is to ensure that all boats competing have a good and appropriate live well. A little air pump in a cooler isn’t near enough to support fish the size of bass.

#17 ·
No,if u catch a small one!! Keep fishing, when u catch a bigger one creel it out,put it back in the water safe so it can grow!! But only turn in the biggest one u caught!! Understand

#18 ·
Think about it!!! To Winn u have to fish hard!! To catch a winning bass!! So u can creel out as you catch bigger bass! But only turn in one!! Crappie tournaments did do that at one time!! But these tournaments people show up for!!!

#19 ·
It’s ok. I still like the 5 fish limit tourneys when operated with standards. These limits allow for skilled anglers to build on catches and try to use a good pattern to work for them for a victory.

That said, there are a few tourneys that have a big fish per hour weigh in. You keep no more than three in the livewell and weigh no more than one per hour throughout the duration of the tourney.

Those are pretty fun, adds to the strategy and adds to which of the ads and at what time the angler will choose to weigh them.

I’m not a fan of one fish per complete tourney, though.

I’m going to add that it seems the problem now
is centered around smaller lakes, lakes that can’t support the modern bass boats with modern livewell technologies. Small boats often lack in decent livewells and the owners, in an attempt to keep the fish alive, adapt coolers systems and such to make a good hearted attempt at keeping the fish released alive.

Because the larger boats can’t get on the waters, or are frowned upon, there could be a higher mortality rate seen at the ramps.

In my opinion, those fish SHOULD be collected by the tourney organizers and used as food for someone, whether charity or not, but not wasted.

I would also add that the tourneys I compete in really have no higher a rate of bass mortality than those of non tourney anglers, in which case many are kept to be eaten (and that’s ok with me as long as they are legally caught) or gut hooked bass from live bait usage.

The tourneys I am part of require artificial baits to be used, lessening the chance of swallowed hooks. Notice, I didn’t say eliminating the chance. It still happens. Responsible harvest of those fish should be taken in those rare cases.

#20 ·
My grandfather spoke with me many times about the old days of Bass tournaments.

He often spoke about tournament fishing back in the late 40's-early 70's when he fished in Bass tournaments, one fish, biggest fish, winner take all in the early years. These were local contests, no overnight travel.

As things progressed, live bait was banned, trolling was banned, and Bass tournaments became artificial only.
He always felt any legal means of fishing should be allowed, which is neither here nor there.

The same folks that won the one fish, biggest fish, winner take all won when multiple fish became the norm for the tally, for a while.

According to him and his fishing friends, this changed only when big waters became the predominant places on the tourney trail, spread throughout the country, and large expensive boat and sponsorship (or individual wealth) were almost required to participate. The rising cost of participation eliminated the old guard from the events in many cases. I can't imagine what he would say about the entry fees in some current Bass tournaments.

The only benefit he saw over the early days was that multiple finish positions received payout, where as in the old days, only one spot paid.

#21 ·
The problem is there's too many different bass clubs that bass fish!! When you got a lot of clubs doing that bass fishing it slowly kills out the Bass lake!! The smaller lakes bike McIntosh Randolph they can't support all these bass fisherman going out there!! I've been to randleman lake and I know there has been a tournament everyday on that lake!! And these bass fisherman don't give a **** if you sitting in a slip fixing to pull out!! I've had it happen to me I'm parked in handicap over on randleman lake a guy runs up past me and pulls inslip that I had my boat sitting in!! And he bumped my boat doing it!! In a hurry just to make weigh in!! But everyone needs to remember there is more than one fishing club out there that running bass tournament!! Sorry guys but the truth really hurts!!

#22 ·
One bass Fisher is not another. All bass anglers aren’t as you describe. 99.9% of bass anglers are good and decent people who are conscientious of the fishery of for no other reason, so it is there for more tourneys in the future, but most really enjoy fishing.

In life, there is always “that one in a hundred” that do stupid and selfish things. It’s not limited to bass tournament guys.

I could list a bunch of examples of non tourney guys, kayakers, skiers, truck drivers, car drivers, shoppers, etc, where “that one in a hundred” shows up.

The great majority if anyone is just trying to do the best they can. That includes guys that compete in bass tournaments. All shouldn’t be judged by the actions of a couple.

#25 ·
I've got to go some more this week!! I'll check and see size!! They come in a big pack!! Taking today off!! I've spine damage!! Doctor's told me to stop doing stuff!! I said no to fishing!! 1 or 2 times not asking for that munch!

#26 ·
Roadrunner jegs I use1/8 , 3/16 when do crappie are finicky I dropped down to a 3/16 jig head!! They start biting!! But I like white!! But I have all colors of roadrunner!! And I carry both sizes in all colors!! Depends on water color!! Black chartreuse bread and pink but I like the white

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.