Bull Red Questions.

Thread: Bull Red Questions.

Default Bull Red Questions.

Am ready to learn about and fish for bull reds. Have the gear figured out, want to know where to look for them. Could they expect to be found around Indian Island in the Pamlico river? That is about the range for my 18'CS with Suzuki 70 out of Blount's (cannot trailer by myself.) How far upriver are they targeted? I will have the next 3 months open if anyone wants to go fishing. Thanks in advance for any help/tips/warnings, etc.
    tiger_rag likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

People are kinda secretive about their fishing holes. The best way is to figure out their migratory patterns and hit areas that coincide with that time of the year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Indian Island is not out of the question...but if you want to increase your odds 10 miles further east would up your chances considerably. Think about points in the sound itself.
    philjam likes this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

[QUOTE=usmcbecker;1215449]People are kinda secretive about their fishing holes. The best way is to figure out their migratory patterns and hit areas that coincide with that time of the year. /QUOTE]

I am trying to figure out if they are within range of my boat, during the next 3 months. Not asking for anyone's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris52 View Post
    Indian Island is not out of the question...but if you want to increase your odds 10 miles further east would up your chances considerably. Think about points in the sound itself.
    Thanks, maybe try that and take a spare gas can. Would map a plan to start at the farthest point, then work east. How long would you fish a location (during the day) before going to next potential bull red spot? Here we usually spend around 30 minutes fishing for stripers or whatever, before moving to the next point, dock, mouth, etc.

I am speaking from fishing in the Florida panhandle, but the redfish are not much different here than there, from what I have gathered. I can't think of many times, if any, that I fished a location more than 30 minutes and THEN caught big redfish. If they are there and biting, you should know within that time frame. Try to find places where wind or current move water past natural current breaks like points, and if you can find that with deeper water access nearby and mullet or other bait in the area, your odds go way up. Try a variety of presentations, and don't hesitate to throw natural baits like cut mullet or live pinfish if you have the option.
    philjam likes this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Are you anchoring and soaking cut bait or drifting and working a popping cork or topwater lure? I have caught Old Drum all the way to the break wall in Belhaven up the pungo river and as far east as the mouth of Durham creek. The fish that I caught that far up each river were both in early October and while I was actually trout fishing. When I targeting old drum I would at least start at the mouth of Pungo River and further east if possible. I enjoy drifting and working the points and drop offs with a popping cork. Finding schools of bait will increase your chances.
    philjam likes this.

Default Bull Red Questions.

Popping cork setups work great in the daytime. It keeps you busy fishing instead of just soaking bait. Most tackle shops can set up up with the right corks and lures. The ones posted are just some large flies I use under my Blabbermouth popping cork. DOA makes a popping cork or a Deadly Combo for big reds. Most people use the DOA Airhead swimbait on a heavy DOA jig or other heavy hook.

Look for bait balls on top of the water moving about. I saw some big bait balls yesterday in the lower Neuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    crabman00, ice cream man, and philjam like this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

If you buy the DOA Deadly Combo, make sure to check the knots. I've had several that came undone by pulling hand tight.
    philjam likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements