Bull minnows

Thread: Bull minnows

I know I can use a minnow trap and put in my bait of choice, but the area I just found really isn’t deep enough(about 2-3 inches deep) to fully submerge the opening in the minnow traps but it holds a lot of minnows and not really accessible to use a cast net

Just wondering if anyone has targeted these fish with hook and line.

If so what size hook did you use? I’m thinking #10 hook with a ultra light rod/reel

I tend to fish a lot with friends that have kids and was looking for something they can have fun with.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I put the trap out at low tide, the opening level with the water, not even fully submerged. It fills up a lot faster than fishing for one at a time.

Fishing is possible using the smallest sabiki rig baited with tidbit of worm. Am guessing hook size is #8 or 10. They don't get hooked much but hang on long enough to swing to land. It is fun because bull minnows attack en mass on the surface like piranhas.

Thanks for replying Unfortunately the area I found doesn’t really have a tide cycle, it’s more of a wind driven tide. However I might just toss my trap in and see how it does....it might just be deep enough

And I’m guessing I can use just about any kind of scented bait if they are like paranahs? Cause I have a bunch of old used gulp and old fish bites that I use for pinfish, croker and other bait fish.

I just never really ever had any luck catching minnows, but I am great at catching eels in the minnow trap but I’m also the first to admit that I dont know what I’m doing besides having fun
    philjam likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements