New to NC and fishing

Thread: New to NC and fishing

Default New to NC and fishing

Hey everyone, Sean here. I am originally from Michigan, and have spent time in Italy, Charleston, Nashville and now outside of Asheville. I cook for a living and thats what has moved me around. I am making career changes and freeing up more time for family, my dog, and getting into hunting and fishing.

I have a basic spinning real, a box full of jigs, spinners, rubber worms....all the starting stuff. I am not afraid of live bait, but haven't fished it since I was younger. I am looking mostly to be able to catch some table fare, but also just enjoy being outside in a nice area. I live 20 min east of Asheville, I am not sure if anything beside going for a couple hour drive will get me anything I can put on the table.

I have read about eating bass, and I plan to try it during the right season. I know there is a chance to catch trout if you're lucky, crappie around, maybe if I had a boat, and same with walleye. If anyone has any basic tips on locations to try, places you're having luck or just a point in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for having me here, looking forward to reading the posts and getting out there!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Welcome Sean. Lots of good places up there to fish. The French Broad is a good place for smallmouth, and if you ask around I know some of our guys from up there will assist. Again, welcome!
    PS
    Eat all the crappie and trout you can eat, but please release the bass, unless they're spotted (Alabama bass) lol
    4acres likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sears303 View Post
    I live 20 min east of Asheville, I am not sure if anything beside going for a couple hour drive will get me anything I can put on the table.

Thanks for having me here, looking forward to reading the posts and getting out there!
    Hi Sean, Welcome aboard. Catfish like worms, chicken livers, and cut baits and can be found in most fresh water reservoirs. Trout like corn, worms and dry flies and wet flies. Crappie are my personal favorite and smaller minnows make good crappie bait. Since you don't yet have a boat, look for reservoirs with vacant handicapped docks. Visit tackle shops to find out what the locals are catching and where. Fontana Lake has boats for rent if your interested.
    Please Don't block the ramp or the dock. My pontoon and crew cab require a wide berth.
    Dave, Teresa and Greg

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'll say hello too, if y'all don't mind. I'm Ken (AC4RD is my FCC license), and I haven't been fishing since my grandfathers took me, back when TVs and photos were black-and-white. Decided to give it a try, so I got some basic gear. I'm in Raleigh, and so far I've wet a line at Lake Johnson--with no luck at all. And I'm limited because I have one weak leg and one artificial leg, due to an accident. So I need to fish from a bank somewhere where I can sit down. (Lake Johnson isn't very accommodating in that regard.) I'd welcome suggestions if anybody has any. (And I'm not eager to fish from a boat just now--I'm concerned my metal leg ("emergency spare") might be hard to deal with if I went overboard. :-) Thanks for letting a newbie read and learn! --ken

Welcome aboard Ken. Lots of good fisher men and women on the forum live near or in Wake county. Maybe when all the weather related stuff dwindles, some will chime in. The forum seems unusually quiet, Must be watching the news.
    Please Don't block the ramp or the dock. My pontoon and crew cab require a wide berth.
    Dave, Teresa and Greg

Spidey? Static... Come in Spidey Come in. Anyone heard from Spidey?
    Dave, Teresa and Greg

Thanks for those tips guys. I have been out at Lake James with zero action, and talking to people out there, seems to be common for that spot. I got a bass and have seen many more out at Lake Junuluska. I really would like table fare, so crappie would be most welcoming for sure. I know creek/bank fishing might not be the best for those fish. Even getting bass for the fun of it is great though.

Quote Originally Posted by AC4RD View Post
    I'll say hello too, if y'all don't mind. I'm Ken (AC4RD is my FCC license), and I haven't been fishing since my grandfathers took me, back when TVs and photos were black-and-white. Decided to give it a try, so I got some basic gear. I'm in Raleigh, and so far I've wet a line at Lake Johnson--with no luck at all. And I'm limited because I have one weak leg and one artificial leg, due to an accident. So I need to fish from a bank somewhere where I can sit down. (Lake Johnson isn't very accommodating in that regard.) I'd welcome suggestions if anybody has any. (And I'm not eager to fish from a boat just now--I'm concerned my metal leg ("emergency spare") might be hard to deal with if I went overboard. :-) Thanks for letting a newbie read and learn! --ken
    If you aren't interested in keeping, try Crabtree lake. Good dock to fish from, and an area past there where you can drop a chair and fish. Lots of big carp and catfish, and plentiful crappie... But the lake is polluted with PCB's, and eating fish from there is a major health risk.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Quote Originally Posted by Sears303 View Post
    Thanks for those tips guys. I have been out at Lake James with zero action, and talking to people out there, seems to be common for that spot. I got a bass and have seen many more out at Lake Junuluska. I really would like table fare, so crappie would be most welcoming for sure. I know creek/bank fishing might not be the best for those fish. Even getting bass for the fun of it is great though.
    Come april (opening season), hit the HS trout streams. Check the rules for the stream you are on, but most HS streams allow any bait. I have a little luck with Berkley trout chow (looks like little marshmallows) on a size 8 hook rigged carolina style.
    Sears303 likes this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements