Gas tanks issues?

Thread: Gas tanks issues?

Default Gas tanks issues?

A neighbor has a used 17.5 Boston Whaler Outrage with a 115 4-stroke Yamaha. He has been having some perplexing issues that may be tied to his gas tank. His mechanic is stumped. When he runs his boat the engine works perfectly until he makes a hard turn and the problem starts. To get home, he has to have a friend pump the bulb and run at low speed. His mechanic put a small remote tank on it and it works great. So my friend has gotten a new fuel pump, replaced the fuel line, replaced the anti-siphon valve, checked the fuel/water separator, and made sure the tank vent line is clear. But it still gives him fits and he has to have a friend with him to pump the bulb after he makes a hard turn.
    It seems as though there is something wrong with the belly fuel tank. But what? And could it be something else he and his mechanic have not considered. Any thoughts from this august group of geniuses? My friend is beside himself.
    Whitefish 115
    Oak Island, NC

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Maybe some kind of debris in the tank that makes its way to and clogs the pickup on a hard turn? Recently read about a guy who had the little paper cap seal from a fuel additive that was clogging his pickup at times. If the boat sat for a while it would lose pressure and the cap would fall off.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Thanks Neilslure. Interesting theory that makes sense. I don’t know how hard it is to get to look at the pickup, but I’ll suggest that to him, as well as any other great ideas come along.
    Thanks for helping us out. Likely it is going to be something of this sort- something you would never think of until it happens to you.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Seeing as how it doesn't do it with remote tank, that points to the main tank as the culprit. Did he use same fuel line? If not it could be a pin hole in line or the primer bulb making it suck air. Of course it could be lots of things, but it does sound like there is something happening in main tank to cause the problem. May end up pulling tank out to clean completely, could be some trash or water in bottom. Intermittent problems are the biggest pia because they are so difficult to pinpoint. Wish him luck.

Thanks Meenyt, it is a mystery. The gas lines have been replaced, the engine warning for water in the gas has not been triggered, and the engine runs like a champ until it makes a hard turn. You may be correct that the tank needs to be pulled out to see what is going on. I’ll make sure to report when we get to the bottom of this.

Make sure there are no hidden fuel filters. They can cause similar issues.

Dear Fishscalz,
    I bet there is a story behind your suggestion. Thanks for the help.
    Fishscalz likes this.

OK, here’s an update. The brother of a member of our flyfishing club is a Yahama guru. He has suggested that if the gas line is gray it is one of a series claiming to have an Ethanol resistant lining that has not lived up to expectations. If the fuel line is black, the chances are there is a kink in the hose caused by turning the engine. Since the majority of the fuel line runs under the floor, my neighbor is going to get another black fuel line and, for a test, run it above the floor. Obviously, if the engine continues to run well after a hard turn, the problem is with the fuel line running under the floor. If the problem occurs again, then we are back to square 1. My friend is going to try this experiment and I will report the results. Let me note that the previous owner of this boat did not use Ethanol gas for the past 6 or 7 years and in the brief time he has owned it, my friend has used only Ethanol-free gas, too. So the chance of it being the result of Ethanol breaking down the lining of the gas line is very remote. Stay tuned for more info as it becomes available. Whitefish 115

Well????????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend hasn’t tried the experiment yet. When he does, I will report immediately. The weather has been very, very hot and windy- not ideal for old guys to be out in the sun too much. But we’ve had rain the past two days so maybe he can run the experiment before it gets too hot again.

Well????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements