NC Angler Forums banner

I'm retired and supposed to start fishing, right?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  smokemup 
#1 ·
Pretty sure it's law. :p Anyway, I'm gonna do it, just don't know anything about it around here (Garner, NC). Nor do I have any gear left, but I working on that. So many choices...

It would be great if I could get some recommendations of where to fish. I heard that Lake Benson is pretty good, but their hours are terrible, and they don't allow bank fishing. Just like other parks. Ponds would be okay as I don't have high expectations at starter level. Also curious about the Neuse River. There are a couple areas I saw parking available for the NR Trail and a canoe launching area. Anything decent in that river? My biggest interest, for now, is Crappie, and Bass. I'd release Bass, but I've had Bream and Crappie and they're pretty good fried. Night fishing would be great, too, if that's still a thing to catch Crappie.

Anyway, that's my story, and looking forward to drowning some plastic worms, so to speak.

#2 ·
cant help ya out garner way but Bass Lake and Lake Johson are good. pull up a maps app drive around looming for water to fish you might find a gem or 5

#6 ·
I visited Bass Lake today. Looks great. It's about a 25 minute drive, but it has great hours, sells live bait, and rents boats, although limited. Kinda expensive to rent their stuff @$10/hr. Bank fishing is free, an they have a few areas that looked good to me, including their makeshift pier. Lots of bank fishing areas with some cover. They may be over fished, but still looks good if you don't want to rent a boat$$. And Christ, don't even think about renting their trolling motors. That's your children's college fund. lol. I'm going to give it a try. I read where they stock the lake with 1500 pounds of catfish monthly, and the bass is catch n release. Should make for good fishing.

#10 ·
Well I'm excited now! My fishing gear pieces are arriving daily, and I'm close to ready. No boat though, but I'd love to check out Lake Wheeler. To break myself in, I'll start with Bass Lake and see what happens. I have a bunch of Crappie bait and rigs and Bass gear as well. My "research" has cost me a bit, and I don't think I can hide that from the wife, just like my shooting hobby. But, after 50 years of marriage, she gives me a break every now and then. I cook fantastic dinners for her everyday, as she continues to work, which is the 'man secret to getting what you want.' Yes!

#13 ·
I'm gearing up...still. Seems like I can't get correct Amazon orders to show up that I ordered. I had two reels arrive that were in the correct box, but not the correct reel inside. I returned it, and they send another. The exact same wrong reel in the right box. I went ahead and returned that one for a refund this time and ordered a KastKing Spartacus left handed reel. Hopefully it will be good, or at least in the box! LOL.

#14 ·
Couple pics of gear. A few more items are in the mail, but this should be about it. There's another box for the hooks, weights, misc line stuff, and such. I went with weighted hooks for the bass worms. Let me know if I'm well prepared. I even have some fish smell spray and mosquito repellent. Proper tools,etc. Boy, I hope I enjoy fishing!! If it bombs out I still have shooting sports to revert to. Haha.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.