Offshore Reels

Thread: Reels

Default Reels

Hello everyone. I am going to purchase two new trolling reels. Not wanting to spend a ton. I have selected the bass pro off shore angler lever drag reels. Looks like a good reel with good line capacity, and strong drag system. I really like the lever drag feature as well. I will be using these reels for dolphin, smaller tuna, wahoo, etc. I guess the question is has anyone used the reels and can they give input, or tell me no and buy something else. As for that what would you recommend if not these reels. They are $100 each. Doesn't seem bad for what you get. Thanks for the help. Here is the link for what I'm looking at https://www.basspro.com/shop/Product...57345616676768

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For the money they look and sound like they are as good as the TLD's. I own one TLD-15 and love it! If I was buying new conventional tackle I would get more of the shimano's, however, I would maybe get one of the BP reels for a comparison.........hope to hear good things about them in the future - good luck!

You can get a couple of good deals in the New Bern area on the TLD-15. Neuse sport shops (Kinston and Cedar Point) and Sportsmans Warehouse (MHC) have combos which include pre spooled reels. Not sure what size you are looking - the 15 may not be able to handle that Hoo??
    FISHER87 likes this.

For the type of trolling he is descrbing I'd go up to a TLD 25 if going shimano. Here is a good price on a Penn Combo that is similiar to the 25 - http://neusesportshop.com/proddetail...=60LD-ASU-601A. I've been fairly happy with this combo. I've had good stuff from BPS and I've had crap. You def don't want something to fail when you have a nice fish on because you saved a few dollars. By the time you buy fuel, bait, etc to get to dolphin, wahoo, tuna the price diff won't be much more than a hiccup.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Donald at Custom Marine Fabricaors in New Bern often has some used combos at nice prices too.

I'll second the motion on Custom Marine. I was there last week and he had some nice trolling combos.

Thanks for the input. I have several rods to put reels on. Just trying to upgrade. Those Penn reels look nice. May try one of those down the road. I only get to go offshore a couple times a year. Want be used but maybe 8 total runs offshore per year. On the other hand I'm upgrading from the ol 309 level winds so anything should be better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Understood but do keep in mind that when a wahoo starts burning off the line you don't want the drag to get sticky and loose it because you saved a buck. Not sure about those BPS reels but know that those Penns and TLD 25s are good reels
    FISHER87 likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements