Old Reds time of year approaching

Thread: Old Reds time of year approaching

Default Old Reds time of year approaching

I caught and released two old reds last year. These were my first, so I am no expert. One caught on my kayak and one off my dock. Can't wait to target them this year. Questions: For old reds, do tides or current play any role when in big water like the Pamlico or Neuse? When using a poppin cork, is a swooping sound superior to a popping sound when working the cork? I've heard these old fish are coming in to spawn (I assume from the ocean). How far up will they go? I always love learning more from you guys. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Samuel: I'm no expert on that fishery either, but from my observation tides and current in the Neuse/Pamlico are mostly wind driven (not lunar) and don't play too much of a role in catching or not catching big drum there. Instead, I think these fish relate to contours and structure and to bait. Yes, they are migrating from the ocean into these large estuaries to spawn and though they are caught up as far as New Bern occasionally, there are much larger numbers of them further downriver, say Minnesott Beach and down river. They follow contours and drop offs and will key in on large schools of bait (menhaden and mullet). So find a drop off with some bait around it for starters and keep moving deeper in increments until you start getting bit. If you don't keep moving to another similar area until you do. I'm not sure on the popping cork sound, which is best, but anything that makes a lot of noise is probably good.

Good info - thanks

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Default Old Drum

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel999 View Post
    Good info - thanks

If you are fishing a popping cork rig, find the menhaden and typically you will find the fish but like BMAC says, fishing a drop off helps......cast to the edges of the school, pop the cork but give the trailing bait time to settle.....I personally think the Blabber Mouth cork produces more noise and splash than most others although Chasin' Tails Tackle Shop on the Atlantic Beach Causeway is advertising one that they say is equal to or better than the Blabber Mouth.....

As far as how far up the Neuse they travel, I caught my last one within 5 miles of New Bern.......

Good scoop. I think the drum will go as far up as the bait goes as long as salinity is to their liking. I've caught puppy drum and flounder a pretty long ways up the Trent R.

Check out Instagram for area locals guides here in Wilmington catching Bull Reds.......... ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Samuel: Just a quick update. Just when you think you know something about fishing, the fish and mother nature will prove otherwise. I got a reliable report that tarpon have been seen (don't know if caught) above New Bern and that big reds are way up the river. Salinity is high this year and as long as there's bait, those fish will go where they want. Follow my advice at your peril!

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements