Banning Flounder Fishing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banning Flounder Fishing

Default Banning Flounder Fishing

As we all know by now, flounder fishing is being banned come August 23d, because of a decline in the stocks of the southern flounder. My question is, why are they banning all flounder fishing? The summer flounder and Gulf flounder are doing ok, with the summer flounder listed as abundant. Is it just because folks don't know the difference?
    Sounds to me like that's the case. I confirmed all three are involved by calling the NCWRC in Raleigh.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    As we all know by now, flounder fishing is being banned come August 23d, because of a decline in the stocks of the southern flounder. My question is, why are they banning all flounder fishing? The summer flounder and Gulf flounder are doing ok, with the summer flounder listed as abundant. Is it just because folks don't know the difference?
    Sounds to me like that's the case. I confirmed all three are involved by calling the NCWRC in Raleigh.
    You're right. NC does not distinguish between the separate species when it comes to regulations. Flounder is flounder in NC. Seems like counting spots or noticing their configuration is too much for the average fisherman, so they lump them all together. Best scenario given all species are in our waters.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    gadgetguy1288 likes this.

I thought the closure was put on hold for now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Here is the proposed bill from June that States they will vote this month between the 21st-23rd
    http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/nr-45-2019-flounder

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

Main reason is most people... Me included could not distinguish btween the 3 species good. I have looked at photos compared etc But they all seem to run together after awhile. And a no keep rule keeps a lot of argument out of it when wild life checks you.

After the debacle over the red wolf restoration, where the species was recovering, then the USFWS and the NCWRC shrunk their habitat by 80%, I don't have too much faith in either body to do the right thing.

This is driven by the NC-DMF (Division of Marine Fisheries) and not the Wildlife Resources Commission.
    Fishscalz likes this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Either way people will just drive to Little River, Cherry Grove, or Georgetown and get the flounder bite

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    kdig67 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crappie89 View Post
    This is driven by the NC-DMF (Division of Marine Fisheries) and not the Wildlife Resources Commission.
    Thanks for that info..
    crappie89 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    After the debacle over the red wolf restoration, where the species was recovering, then the USFWS and the NCWRC shrunk their habitat by 80%, I don't have too much faith in either body to do the right thing.
    How did they shrink the red wolf habitat?

Quote Originally Posted by crappie89 View Post
    Hey Crappie: Sorry for being a technical nit picker, but it's actually the Marine Fisheries Commission appointed by the Governor. Most of NC DMF and the Director are against the closure, but DMF is bound by current law to follow the recommendations of the Commission. That said, this fight is probably far from over. If the MFC votes to close down flounder fishing (comm & rec) then there may be a lawsuit or the General Assembly might get involved. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm personally OK with the closure if that will help to restore the stock. Strangely enough, this year Southern Flounder seem more abundant than the last couple of years. But the stock assessment is what it is.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

SC has a great fishery in my opinion and the same travel time for me to drive to Oak Island. Iím all for the closer in NC to replenish the amount of southern flounder to our waters. But it needs to be fair across the board for recs and commercial fisherman, no loop holes.
    gadgetguy1288, and Wellred like this.

Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

I have no issue with shutting down the season or stopping the flounder fishing for a year.

Has anyone noticed the decline in size? Most of the flounder being pulled from southern NC and little river are barely keeper size.
    Managing the stock will provide better fishing for years to come. Target another species.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoaldonkey View Post
    How did they shrink the red wolf habitat?
    They took the red wolf's protected status away everywhere except the Alligator River Refuge, an area of 160,000 acres. That's the only place where they are afforded protection. This comes on the heels of a report that scientists have proven the red wolf is a viable species unto itself.
    There are less than 30 roaming wild now. There were 135 just ten years ago. It has been proven they drive out or kill coyotes too.
    Just shows how stupid people can be..

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Hey Crappie: Sorry for being a technical nit picker, but it's actually the Marine Fisheries Commission appointed by the Governor. Most of NC DMF and the Director are against the closure, but DMF is bound by current law to follow the recommendations of the Commission. That said, this fight is probably far from over. If the MFC votes to close down flounder fishing (comm & rec) then there may be a lawsuit or the General Assembly might get involved. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm personally OK with the closure if that will help to restore the stock. Strangely enough, this year Southern Flounder seem more abundant than the last couple of years. But the stock assessment is what it is.
    That's not quite true. The commission voted to enact the closure originally proposed by the Division staff. The closure and timeline came directly from DMF. Advisory councils voted to accept the Division's recommendations. And to say the director is against the closure is stating the obvious. He's against anything that restores fish stocks at the expense of the commercial interests. It's status quo all over again...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    bmac, Feetup1, and gadgetguy1288 like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast