Is standing in a kayak helpful? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is standing in a kayak helpful?

Well, I already had a Big Rig and I added a new Slayer XC. Both are wider and more stable than the older Slayer I had. I had no issues with the old Slayer at all. I just like the width and some of the updated features on the XC better than the old Slayer

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Duck, I appreciate the input. I’ll try to get first hand experience with a boat before I buy, but if a good deal comes up I may have to just roll the dice.

Out of curiosity, between the Slayer and Big Rig, is there a large difference in paddling efficiency/effort? Still gauging how much I want to trade stability for paddling efficiency, and how that scales.

That's a good question. I haven't tried a Slayer. I like my Big Rig. But it would be nice to know should I look for another kayak in the future. A wider kayak will give up a little speed for stability. But if you use it mainly for fishing, it's not a race anyway. And the speed you loose isn't that much. And there is the trolling motor option as well. You can do that yourself for less that half for the price of a set up you would purchase.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Im all honesty,I havent had the new Slayer in the water yet. A week after I got it, I had to go out of the country (New Jersey) for a death in the family. While out of the country (New Jersey) I picked up a bug and have been under the weather for a couple of weeks. I'm better now, but not sure I want to brave the public lakes and all of the idiots, over this coming Labor Day weekend. As soon as I get it in the water,I'll post up a review

In my opinion - rarely. In most cases if theres somewhere you absolutely need to stand to fish well, youre close enough to land/rocks/structure to get out and stand. However, if I had a big rig or something of that nature I might. If I stand in my radar 135 Im usually just trying to look into the water ahead from a higher angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like having the option to. I usually stand some evey trip. Comes in handy when punching. Nice to stand to stretch the legs or back, but most of the time I am sitting.

Agreed. I have a tandem canoe that I paddle solo, and I'll stand every now and again just to stretch. I've never fished standing though...I'd be afraid I'd go overboard when I set the hook!

Quote Originally Posted by BassinNCstyle View Post
    I like having the option to. I usually stand some evey trip. Comes in handy when punching. Nice to stand to stretch the legs or back, but most of the time I am sitting.

Thanks again for the opinions.

Saw a barely used ATAK 120 for sale and couldn’t resist. Had it out for the first time last week and I think I’ll be very happy.

Spent most of the first trip getting accustomed to the boat, testing stability, practicing reentry, etc. Had a lot of fun paddling it like a paddle board. No fish yet, but standing to walk a frog or pitch and the high seat in general makes fishing life much easier. It also is a lot less loud than the trident on the roof rack.

I also learned the importance of a good paddle. The boat came with a cheap one and WOW. I had jumped straight to a decent paddle with my trident and this ‘included’ paddle an eye opener. Made the paddling experience such a chore that I came back and switched to my previous (way too short for that boat width) paddle.

I saw a Werner Shuna 250cm on sale over the weekend and jumped on it. Excited to try it once it arrives. At over a pound less than the ‘included’ paddle with the ATAK it should be night and day.

I do have one complaint - the FlexPod is expensive to replace and you can forget to latch it before driving. Not that I did that........

I think it’s helpful if you can balance it. My kayak is pretty narrow so I can’t do it. I’ve fished from a paddle board and it’s very nice to be able to stand to fish.

Totally agree on importance of a good paddle. I used "included" paddles for years. Finally upgraded to a Bending Branches paddle. Huge difference in how my arms felt at the end of the trip.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12