Is standing in a kayak helpful?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is standing in a kayak helpful?

Default Is standing in a kayak helpful?

How useful do you find standing in a kayak? I predominantly for fish for bass on Jordan/Harris.

Background:
    Bought a used OK Trident 13 last year and have gotten a lot of good use out of it. I bought it for its speed, but it’s not something I can fish while standing (at least not for long).

Since my trips have been shorter (<1.5 miles one way) I may not need as much speed. And it seems like standing would help to get a better view and make casting up shallow easier. And it would be nice to stretch after a little while without heading ashore.

...but I could be imaging the benefits justify buying something else (I’m a gadget person).

...or maybe I should get a pedal drive.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Personally, Standing isn't that important to me. Most of the places I fish are dark tannin stained waters and you really cant see that well, even though the water is clear. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you've fished the blackwater creeks in the eastern part of the state, you know. That being said, If you want to stand up, I can speak to the stability of the Jackson Big Rig as well as the Native Slayer XC. The Big Rig is 38 inches wide and the Slayer XC is 36 inches. Both are very stable boats
    As far as a Pedal drive boat, I have pedaled several and haven't found one that was comfortable to me. I either felt like I was laying flat on my back or that my knees were up under my chin.

I found it helpful for two reasons. First, to stretch out a little. I have some back problems that become evident when I sit for too long, and being able to stand up and stretch without worrying too much about going for a swim helps when out in the water for any amount of time. Secondly, I found it great for spotting fish from a distance. However, with the muddy and stained waters I usually encounter in the central and eastern parts of the state, that is really only a possibility in a foot of two of water. Also, I have found that my catch rates go way down when trying to spot fish standing, because I believe if you can see them, they’ve very likely already seen you, and even if they haven’t swam off yet they almost certainly will not bite if they know you’re there.

Standing was nice, but if I were shopping for another kayak it would not be a make or break feature for me if I found a deal on a nice kayak.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have a Jackson Big Rig. The speed you give up for a kayak you can stand in isn't that much considering the gains you get. Being able to strech every now and then is a big plus. Also being able to sit side saddle with your legs in the water on hot days is nice. The same goes for handling bumpy water if the wind picks up. Other pluses are more stability when getting in and out, usually there is more storage and deck space as well due to the wider width. I usually sit when fishing but love a bigger more stable platform and not being stiff from not being able to move around as with my firsy two yaks. But it all comes down to the features you like best. I really suggest trying out different ones to see what best fits your needs. A lot of dealers have demo days for that and often have discounts if you try one out. Hope this helps.
    GreyGhost, and SurfRider like this.

Notice how the water is constantly disturbed from trying to balance while standing? Fish can feel that.
    BrandonK likes this.

I have a Ride 135 and stand in it a lot. I fish mostly marsh and coastal creeks and have found it very useful sightcasting to drum. Mostly in the winter when the water is really clear. It takes dialing it in though. For a while I would spook the fish between the time I saw them and could get a lure to them. I also throw the cast net from my kayak when getting out isn't an option. Everyone has the type of fishing they prefer to do and for what I enjoy doing the most, standing is a big help.
    GreyGhost, and Wellred like this.

The first thing that came mind for me is in a Hobie Pro Angler you can stand up an pee threw the pedal hole... Yes I said it.
    Wellred likes this.

There's a lot to be said for that Lizard. My first kayak wasn't so stable and I'd have to carefully turn around and get on my knees in my seat for when nature called. With my current kayak and the ease to stand it's never an issue, unless I'm somewhere crowded.

Same here with my first two kayaks. The ability to get relief when needed was a factor in my last purchase.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by lizard View Post
    The first thing that came mind for me is in a Hobie Pro Angler you can stand up an pee threw the pedal hole... Yes I said it.
    ‘Who told you about the secret secondary use for the mirage drive hole 😆 Hobie Pro Anglers especially the 14 are super stable and comfortable. I have stood up in mine with a electric motor doing 3mph to get a cramp out of my back a couple times. The bad thing about them is the price and they weigh around 150 pounds. I bought a 14 and a 12 in 2013 and got a good deal but had to drive out of state to get the deal. Standing up for me is not that important except for looking for schooling fish or looking over the marsh grass to get a bearing on where I’m at.
    Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

Guys..Go find an old whiffle ball bat and cut the ends off. One end goes in a scupper hole,or over the side and the other end is for you. Peeing problem solved. Now #2?..you're on youre own..ha ha

Gatorade bottle works for me.
    ~JOE~
    Solo Dei Gloria

Thanks to all for the opinions, even those for, uh, creative urination.

I’ll keep my eye on the used market. I’m sure something will come up before long.

Currently thinking something along the lines of an ATAK, Radar, or Slayer. Although something like a ProAngler would be great, I car top for transport so don’t want anything to unwieldy.

Dang, I sold a Slayer 14.5 about 2 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Duck View Post
    Dang, I sold a Slayer 14.5 about 2 weeks ago.
    What did you switch to and any particular reason why?

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast