Camping + Fishing with 5yo

Thread: Camping + Fishing with 5yo

Default Camping + Fishing with 5yo

Howdy. We just relocated to NC a couple of months back from overseas. I have the next couple of days off from work and am taking my eldest (5yo) on a little camping/fishing trip. I am seeking advice on a location or area where one could set up camp (primitive or established) and fish (rod/reel) during the day and night. Would love to catch a mess of catfish (any species) and some bluegill. Maybe even set up a couple of bank poles. I live in Southern Pines, but would be happy to drive anyplace within a 2-3hr drive. Looking forward to this trip with my little man.Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I’ve never cat fished but I’d guess there are good numbers in Jordan lake, which has campgrounds on it.
    Red X Angler... I am but a padawan.
    Old Town Predator 13

Not sure where Southern Pines is, but you can try W.Kerr Scott lake in Wilkesboro. Good campgrounds at Bandit's Creek or Warrior, run by Corps Of Engineers. Good catfishing, plenty of panfish, and nice place.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think I’ve narrowed it down to Badin Lake or the fish traps at Raven Rock State Park . Both seem to offer some cats off the bank and camping. Thoughts?

The campgrounds at Badin Lake are nice, bank fishing and a fishing pier also.

We ended up fishing about 200yds below Tuckertown Dam in a nice shady spot. Caught 4 channels, all below 5lbs, on chicken livers. Moved down to Morrow Mountain to camp and fished the Pee Dee. Caught 1 flathead about 5-6lbs, and a blue about the same size. Tried the same spot below Tuckerstown today (9 Aug) and didn’t get a bite. Good time with my eldest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	3F504347-0F78-43AB-8C1B-9BBA1EE5E16D_1565381214236.jpg‎
Views:	58
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	195363

Looks like he had fun.
    There is some good fishing and (tent) camping at Falls Lake State Park between Durham and Raleigh. Probably an hour and a half from you. My favorite is the "Rolling View" area. Surprisingly quiet given its location.

Dude, you just made a best lifetime fishing and camping buddy...good on you!!!
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Yeah we had a blast. Been a couple of years since we wet a line due to an overseas tour. Good to be back in the land of fishing and hunting.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements