NC Angler Forums banner

Fort Fisher Basin September

5K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  Wellred 
#1 ·
I would like to take Linda back down to Fort Fisher Basin in September. We enjoyed exploring the marsh areas and watching the wild life and catching some reds. Always a pleasure to have a fellow Red Xr for some fellowship fishing. If anyone is interested in going would love to have you.

#7 ·
I can’t promise no waves but I will choose the the best day and tide. The Basin is real shallow in a lot of places so if you want to get out of the yak to stretch or cast a line no problem.

#4 ·
Looking at the Saturday 7th or 14th since Bay River is 2 weeks later. Normally I go down early on a Friday so not have to deal with the weekend crowd. The wind and tides is the most important thing to look at before going. From experience you do not want a low tide and high wind especially coming from the boat launch on your return paddle.

#6 ·
The Fort Fisher Surf Meet most people rent a room or camp being that most people come in Friday for the Saturday morning meet. There is a few who live close enough that they just do a turn & burn on Saturday.

Since this is just one day of fishing I’m not sure if I will rent a room for the night but most likely will over in Southport if I’m beat and tired.

#10 ·
Being there is only 3 of us committed on going and I’m good with either the 7th or 14th you fellas pick the day. I’m probably going to do a motel 1 night or turn & burn depending on rates.

#15 ·
The 7th and 14th is the dates to choose from. What ever date works for you we will go with it. Len works so picked a Saturday. If he decides he is out a Friday would be my preferred day of the week to go.

#18 ·
Hoping for a morning like this for the get together. The afternoon return to the launch was definitely no fun especially for Linda. Winds coming straight from the launch gusting around 17 mph with waves splashing over the bow and to shallow for mirage drive. I made the mistake of giving Linda half a paddle but she was a trooper and never gave up and paddled over half way of the Basin to the launch, not easy in PA 12 I can assure you.

Attachments

#29 ·
I'm up for a meet and fish on those dates, keep me in the loop. PM me if you would. I live in the area and have fished there a lot over the past 15 years, sadly the netters have taken their toll. I haven't caught many fish in the past year or so. They have really wiped the place out. I always love to check out the other wildlife though. Love the Fort. Chers, Darrell

#30 ·
There is places that hold fish I’m sure you are aware of that netting is about impossible. A bit of a risk getting stuck back in the grass areas if you really don’t pay attention to the tide but usually produce. Here is a small red that I caught on out going tide and had to drag him out of the grass fast as well as myself.

Attachments

#31 ·
Sorry to say something has come up that will prevent me from meeting up with you gentlemen in September. I was looking forward to meeting and doing some fishing with you but sadly can’t make it happen. Hope the rest of you will get together and the fishing will be good for you.

#39 ·
I went down to the Fort today for a little time on the water. Managed to get 5 trout, 3 flounder and a puppy drum. All on artificial, the only thing I caught on live bait was a small ray. lets hope there is still some to catch in Sept. as the last two times I was there 3 boats with nets were pulling out of the water at the ramp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.