NC Angler Forums banner

Lake Thom-a-lex

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Fishscalz 
#1 ·
Went out to Thom-a-lex this morning for the first time. Threw a frog around the cove near the ramp without any success. Switched over to the skaky head and the first fish (dink) came off the shoreline made by the road near the bridge. We continued to fish the shoreline as it was in the shade and my buddy managed to catch another one (about 1 lb). Fished the actual bridge without much success and then headed to the north part of the lake. Continued to throw the shaky head in shaded coves with no luck. Switched over to a gold bladed double willow white spinner and landed a 3lber in about 2 FOW in the back of a cove. Fished spinnerbaits and soft plastics from then on without any more luck. It was my first time on the water in a few weeks so I was happy to catch anything but it seems like a pretty slow lake. I’m moving to midway soon and will be about 10 mins from the lake. Hoping I can figure the lake out and have more success since it will be so close!

#2 ·
I'm sorry to hear that you're moving to anywhere in Davidson county.....my condolences. Thom-a-lex can be tough but it has some nice fish in it. The aerators make it tough in the summer. Gina's far away from them as you can. Those fish Gina's shallow as they can.

#3 ·
I lived 16 minutes from ThomALex and fished it almost exclusively for two seasons in 2008 and 2009. I lived so close I was determined to figure that lake out. I figured it out - for me it's a tough place to catch bass. Best day was 9 fish, most of them on the south side of the bridge shoreline starting at the bridge rip rap and rocks opposite the ramp, and going down that shoreline away from the ramp. Lots of days with one or no bites. I started fishing Randleman and City Lake after that despite being further from the house, never looked back. I hope you figure out ThomALex, there are some good fish in it, but they can be tough to pattern. Best of luck!

Reactions: Fishscalz
#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. From what I heard from other guys at the ramp and have read on here it sounds like a tough lake. I would love to be able to figure it out with it being so close but we’ll see what happens. I used to fish the electric only side of randleman a lot but just haven’t made the trip out there in a while. Is the fishing still pretty good out there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.