Next Week at Morehead City

Thread: Next Week at Morehead City

Default Next Week at Morehead City

I'm headed down with my 19' sea pro to stay at Atlantic beach/morehead city for the week and usually put our boat in a slip at Anchorage marina right near the Atlantic beach bridge. We've done OK there before inshore but I've got some questions.

- Might keep the boat out of the water and drive over to Harkers island and put it in there to head to cape look out one day, that's a pretty long trip with my boat and seems it might be easier to trailer it over there and put it in there- I don't see a public ramp on Harkers Island- is there a good private one? I don't mind paying if needed to put in closer to where we want to try fishing.

- I've also considered finding a guide to take us out one day on our boat just to help us learn the patterns. Anyone have someone they would suggest that would do this? We're experienced fishermen but we only get down this way one week a year so don't have a lot of local knowledge other than the typical general areas like the port wall, haystacks, and a few other spots we've found.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I live in the local area and have a Sea Pro SV1900SC bay boat. When fishing near shore I launch at Radio Island ramp just over the Beaufort Bridge. The ride to the Cape is easy and well within your boat's capability. From the inlet to the hook is around 7NM on the outside and takes 20 or so minutes in good sea conditions. If you go the inside route be very careful there are plenty of shallow areas that can catch you out very quickly. Don't rely on your GPS map for depth readings and stay in the channels when you are on plane. Plenty going on right now with both inshore and nearshore fishing. There are artificial reefs close in like 315 and 320 and 330 is a little further out if you choose to venture a little further. Shipping Channel also good for trolling (Spanish and Kings).

My suggestion to you would be go straight to Chasin' Tails Outdoors over the Atlantic Beach bridge on the right hand side (or call them ahead of time). They will give you all the gouge on what and where and can also offer guide services.

Good luck!!
    henchman, Old Hunter, and satguy like this.

Theres a ramp just before you cross the bridge onto Harkers Island. Public
    henchman likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There is a really nice ramp at Beaufort and Harker's is just across the water. It's quicker by boat than by car. From there you can take the back way to the Cape. Really good fishing from the Bight to the Rock Jetty. Take it slow and keep a watchful eye but know that it's normal to run aground your first couple of times. Then when you think you've got it wired a storm will come along and change everything. You can also come out of the creek, hang a right and fish behind Shackleford Banks and the inlet. Certain times of the year eddies come off of the Gulf Stream and you can access mahi within 3 miles of the beach in and around the shipping channel. Thanks to the bouys you can go out of sight of land without getting disoriented. Our favorite thing to do was go outside and look for birds, run over to the action and toss Stingsilvers or flies at schooling Spanish, Bonita or Albies. Way more fun than trolling.
    crabman00 likes this.

As stated, a great public ramp on right just before Harkers Island bridge. Noah Link of Noah's Ark Fishing is a guide that specializes in Harkers Island to Shark Island fishing and is a fun guy.
    henchman likes this.

are the bouys back in from Harkers to cape ?

Tom Roller, waterdog guide service, is another good one around Morehead City. Its also old drum time of year if you want to haul the boat up to Cedar Island, South River or Sea Gate to launch and fish the lower Neuse. Big fish that are in to spawn so want to use adequate tackle to land them quickly and then revive them so they can make babies.
    henchman likes this.

Thanks for the info. Will report how I do.

I agree with the post about Noah being a great guide for the area. Back sound will beat you up a little with SW winds much over 15. Cape Point Marina is my launch spot ($15). It is the closest launch to get out to the cape. There is an area that can be tricky on your way that the coast guard pulled markers out of. Locals have it marked well with trees and cones. Roll slow or follow a decent sized V hull boat if unsure. Helps to know your tide tables out there also. If you see a CC keywest with nothing for sun protection, its me. I plan to camp. Gotta have one last shot at making some flounder meals.
    henchman likes this.

I fished last week in the marsh behind the new big bridge going into beaufort. Saw lots of reds and caught several flounder with one being over 16 inches. Just have to watch where you are because there are a lot of oyster beds in there.
    henchman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by todobien View Post
    Tom Roller, waterdog guide service, is another good one around Morehead City. Its also old drum time of year if you want to haul the boat up to Cedar Island, South River or Sea Gate to launch and fish the lower Neuse. Big fish that are in to spawn so want to use adequate tackle to land them quickly and then revive them so they can make babies.
    What is "adequate tackle?"

Has anyone used the South River boat ramp? Looking for a place to fish in that area without having to run all the way up core creek.

hmedium heavy to heavy rod 4000 series reel 25+ lb line so you can put the heat to the fish and get them to the boat vs lighter tackle which will take longer to land them and wear them out more. They can be caught on smaller tackle but its tougher on the fish as you fight them longer and they are more tired. Don't want those egg filled gals to stress any more than you would a late stage pregnant woman.

Quote Originally Posted by henchman View Post
    Has anyone used the South River boat ramp? Looking for a place to fish in that area without having to run all the way up core creek.
    henchman, I have used that South river ramp. I don't know everything about it but I think the locals maintain it and there is a box there to take a courtesy fee (I think they asked $5). There was parking for maybe 5-7 trucks/trailers at most. The ramp is fine, but the pool where it drops into was a bit cramped with other boats moored there. My 19ft skiff was fine though. The channel out to the Neuse was a little zig-zaggy but it was well-marked - that was all before Flo, so I don't know if anything changed.

Thanks Jay

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements