Help with teaching kids a hookset

Thread: Help with teaching kids a hookset

Default Help with teaching kids a hookset

My son loves fishing (but does get bored easy when they aren't biting, like any 7 year old). However, I'm having a hard time teaching him a good hookset. He just doesn't seem to understand the concept. He starts to get bites and just reels in very quickly, despite my trying my best to explain and show him.
    Any of you guys have tips for teaching younglings how to fish correctly, and specifically the hookset? I searched on the forum here and a general Google search and didn't find any particularly helpful info on teaching kids...
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you use circle hooks, he is doing the right thing already.

If you are going to stay with "J" hooks, explain why the hook has a barb, and that it needs to sink in past the barb to help keep the fish from shaking the hook. Then use a plastic bag like you get groceries in to demonstrate what happens when the barb sinks vs. when it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishscalz View Post
    ...If you use circle hooks, he is doing the right thing already...
    I just J hooks for everything except catfishing and in surf. I use circle hooks there.
    I didn't realize they made circle hooks in smaller sizes, but them again I never really looked either.
    Thanks for the tip!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We use circle hooks for sheepshead all the way down to size 6 sometimes. They definitely make small ones. If you're fishing live bait, that's what I'd do. I taught my 7 year old to catch bass on Texas rig plastic worms by using Zoom U-tail worms and using Gamakatsu hooks, which are very sharp - the worms are thin and barely hold the hook point, so when he gets excited and starts reeling, it kinda sets itself.

The next step is giving him the same instruction I was given... when you feel a bite, straighten your arms while pointing the rod at the fish, reel in the slack, and then try to jerk the fish into the boat.
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

So you're fishing on the bottom right? I assume using a sinker/splitshot? I suggest using the smallest sinker you can get by with. Ask him to pay close attention to the line. Often the line will get taut or slack when a fish picks up the bait. If either happen tell him to jerk, if he doesn't snag one, let it settle back to bottom. Wind in only to rid the slack and repeat. He'll get the hang of it quickly if you take him fishing every week. ( or more often).
    To reduce the boredom, take along a snack like potato sticks of beef jerky assuming of course he has permanent teeth. When he starts foul hooking some fish he's getting the hang of it.
    BTW, Cherish every moment.
    Please Don't block the ramp or the dock. My pontoon and crew cab require a wide berth.
    Dave, Teresa and Greg

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements