NC Angler Forums banner

How long do you soak drum baits?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  philjam 
#1 ·
I was wondering how long those of you with more experience at it than I typically soak your night time baits... I've sat for hours chumming and refreshing bait and come up with one or two and wondered if I'd have been better off moving until I found more eager biters. Do you think it's best to wait a likely place out or move til you hit them every hour or so? Speaking in terms of night fishing. Any opinions are appreciated!

#2 ·
I change cut baits, even live baits frequently-- every 10 - 15 minutes. Fresh bait / lively bait = more fish. As far as location, it depends. I'll usually give a spot 30 - 45 minutes, then move, unless it's a spot that I "know" has fish. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong.

#5 ·
My reply was from anchored boat.
For surf fishing, targeting Bull Reds - one rod - one bait - short leader - long cast - being mobile till you catch one.
Tide & time of year are keys..........ICM

Attachments

#9 ·
No bites, I’m moving by 45 min to an hour.
Regarding changing of baits, when fishing the lower Neuse bait getting stale is usually not a problem with all the bait stealers. We normally are checking and adding new bait constantly. The most frustrating thing about that fishery for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.