Exploring Ft Fisher bays

Thread: Exploring Ft Fisher bays

Default Exploring Ft Fisher bays

Finally made it to Ft Fisher (last years trip cancelled due to rain storms). I rented a house across the street from Kure Bch and just 3 miles from Ft Fisher ramp.

Did a lot of exploring on low tide. The Go-Devil was a good boat to have as I put it on sandbars three different times during the week. Explored all three bays and made it all the way down to the creeks in the SE corner of Buzzard’s Bay.

Day 1 got 1 keeper flounder; Day 2 1 keeper flounder; Day 3 got one nice black drum; Day 4 two keeper flounder and two baby reds. Rained out Friday and Saturday.

Not what I dreamed of but I learned a lot about getting around. Go out on low tide friends; you will be amazed by what is just below the surface. Learned that the farther south I got the clearer the water was and the creeks seemed deeper. Next trip I’ll try to pattern the fish bite.

It was a full moon and I wonder if that slowed the daytime bite some. Used a few different lures, even fished mud minnows, all fish caught on Gulp new penny or nuclear chicken. Any of you with experience in the area please give your opinion on full moon or anything else.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just a thought, your Go-Devil might have spooked a lot of fish when you entered an area.
    Especially if you ran shallow.
    Shallow water you need stealth of a trolling motor or push pole........ICM
    GreyGhost likes this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Have trolling motor and used it extensively. What is your experience with full moon?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Lower & higher tides. Evening fishing is better ........ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Full moon hasn't seemed to affect the Trout bite (which has been pretty good this summer along the river w a few slow days mixed in). You did good on learning your way around - the more time you're out there the better your fishing/catching will become. Oysters, grass points, grass islands, creek mouths, etc are all places to stop and fish, esp if you see movement from baitfish around.
    In the dog days of summer, early mornings and late late evenings has been my best catch. I use a lot of finger mullet but they've been hitting gulp shrimp, live shrimp, and topwater early mornings too.
    highcj5, and ice cream man like this.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements