Pamlico sound/ lower Neuse for big reds today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pamlico sound/ lower Neuse for big reds today

Default Pamlico sound/ lower Neuse for big reds today

Put in at Adams creek/ sea gate marina and went north and fished from around 2-7 today. Caught a couple of blues, one flounder, one trout. Was hoping for big reds. Schooling menhaden in many places being chased. Kept trying casting around them and only got blues. Several boats out looking like they were doing the same. Anyone get some today? might try again in the next day or two.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We keep a flyrod or 2 in the boat to cast at the schooling action of blues. Great way to relax for a few minutes before taking off to another location.
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Good idea, a nice sized blue would be fun on a fly.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

im coming downt this week to try for some old drum. if the action is slow, what can we throw to hook up to a bluefish? the wind is not looking good for us as of right now.

We were using a kastmaster spoon to catch blues

Blues are like Honey Badgers they don't care.
    I like to throw topwaters at the..... ICM
    crabman00, and henchman like this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

We might try this again today. Any tips? Just keep moving from bait school to bait school until you find one with reds eating it up?

No luck yet. Tried two weeks ago with no luck. Heading back out this weekend. They are doing good around neuse.
    henchman likes this.

Went today and hung two. Landed zero but a lot of fun
    henchman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by henchman View Post
    We might try this again today. Any tips? Just keep moving from bait school to bait school until you find one with reds eating it up?
    Just keep moving till you strike Gold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Put in at cedar island this morning. Caught a few flounder while looking around for bait. Wind picked up big time and never found any bait schools today? How can you find those schools of menhaden with the wind whipping around? I kept an eye on my sonar but no luck there.

looks like the wind is going to be blowing for the next couple days. ill be down there at first light tomorrow (oriental) until sunday. hopefully we will be able to get into something. I've been waiting for this trip for about 6 months now and of course the wind is going to blow for multiple days of the trip

Talking to old time guides. Worst year ever for old drum. I've been finding bait. But just seems nothing with it.
    lunkerbandit likes this.

If you are going to be there anyway might want to see if you can find a point with a slough along it and set up there and put the boat in the lee.. THey may be hanging out waiting for bait to blow by.

Quote Originally Posted by surffishn View Post
    Talking to old time guides. Worst year ever for old drum. I've been finding bait. But just seems nothing with it.
    A bit early to be making that call I think since in general old drum fishing was always triggered by the full moon in August, which was last week. Hard to imagine guides saying come on out and pay me to put you on fish, not likely we'll find any.

On another note, in recent years it seems the preferred method is popping corks in the daytime and everyone rants and raves if they hookup once or twice a day. 20 plus years ago when I started drum fishing pretty much everybody went at night and hookups of 5 or 6 was not uncommon and my own personal best is 13 in one night. I know people who did better than me in both quantity and frequency.
    Nat's Dad likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast