NC Angler Forums banner

Looking for location advice

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Slowpony 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

i am am coming down from Pittsburgh pa to Cary NC for work. I am looking into spending one or two weekends up in the mountains chasing trout. Looking around I see a lot of state forests but I am in familiar the area. I will be heading down mid October. I don’t need anyone’s secret spots I’m just looking for advice one which areas to start. I don’t mind a hike in. If anyone can please lend a hand on any good creeks or areas to start I don’t mind doing the research. Thanks in advance

#3 ·
I would recommend the area around Brevard. But there are others.

I do recommend picking up this book:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ap...=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=6GjEDi5kh8OEwM:

It is a pretty accurate assessment of the streams and the fishing.

Wish I had more information for you but haven’t been that active in the fresh water for a few years. I’m sure some others will chip in here.

Re Pittsburgh; I’ve been traveling up there from Durham once a month or so and have wondered about seeking out some trout fishing in PA. I’ve got long legs so all of PA is in play. I grew up in Pittsburgh and fished all quadrants of the state many years ago.
Where would be a good place to wet a fly line in PA these days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#5 ·
Dear Tstooge26, Welcome to NC. As for trout fishing in the mountains, you are several hours from some spectacular fishing. Do you wade or float? If you wade, there are lots of wonderful places in western NC. I would recommend that you join a fly fishing club in the Triangle area or even the Carolina Fly Fishing Club in Charlotte. Though I live on the SE coast, I joined the Charlotte club (being an IFF member through my own club- the Cape Fear FLYFISHERs in Southport- kept the cost down to a mere $25). They are always taking trips to the mountains. Also, our club likes to head to East Tennessee for the South Holston and the Watauga. Superb fishing. Also, we have starting going to Galax, VA, to fish the New River for smallmouth- Lefty Kreh said it had the best smallmouth fishing in the world! And, since you live in Raleigh, you are not far from heaven on earth in terms of saltwater fly fishing. Cape Lookout is the world-famous destination for catching False Albacore on a fly rod. Talk about crazy fishing. The world could come to an end and you wouldn’t notice and wouldn’t care. It is insane- run and gun. When you hook up with one, watch out. Then there are red drum- the state fish of NC. You haven’t lived until you catch a red drum on the fly. It is insane. And then there is Weldon, the Rock Fish Capital of the World (late April and early May are crazy- I have caught 150 stripers a day at times on a fly). So, welcome to NC- mountain streams, piedmont lakes and rivers, and the glorious salt. Who could ask for anything more? But join a local club and they can give you far more details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.