River WTH am I doing

Thread: WTH am I doing

Default WTH am I doing

WRONG? I'm at a dead end on frog fishing. I'm getting massive attacks but no hookup. I always research before I try new methods.

I have:

Shortened the legs.
    Switched to braid.
    Flared the hooks.
    Delay the hook set.
    Tried medium thru heavy rods.

Only thing I can think of trying is a stinger hook.

Yesterday's blow up was so violent the frog was airborne.

Humbly asking advice with hat in hand

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Go with a lighter action rod- a Stiff heavy duty one will snatch the frog away from the fish on the hookset. You want a spring like- rubber band action. Also- the stinger hook is a great addition as well. Its very hard not to jerk on the blowup but if you can hold off just a second and feel the weight of the fish before you break its jaw- that should be pay dirt ! Best of luck. Also- try this also- If you miss the bass- throw out a trick work Instantly and you could have it turn back and inhale that. leave the frog ( don't waste time winding it in ) and cast as soon as it misses the frog.
    peanut likes this.

What type of frog? I have good success with a Zoom type frog with a single hook. Ratio of frog hookups is much lower than other techniques. Waiting until you feel the weight of the fish or see your line moving is key. But the fish is missing the frog if it goes airborne, making sure you do not jerk the frog away from the fish before it actually has it is important. The fish may hit it several times before getting it, if you jerk it away you will not get multiple hits.
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO, Carolina Blue
    Jackson Coosa FD, Native Ultimate 14.5, CCA Member

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

When see the take, count one, two, then hit em. The hit is on the three count. I think youll be surprised at how well that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    JM76 likes this.

Good tips, a couple to add.

Speed up your retrieve, as counter intuitive as it may be. It's sometimes that simple with topwater lures to get committed strikes.
    When you are getting show off strikes around cover, it can make all the difference in getting solid hook ups.

Sharpen those hooks, leave no doubt as to if they are sticky sharp.

After the swirl or the blowup, I take up slack to see if I feel the weight of the fish. If so, swing away. If you dont feel you got a full hookset again, reel down more and set it again. Im upwards of 75% hookup ratio the last couple years. If the frog is going flying airborne, it sounds like maybe the fish is just trying to kill or stun it first, and the frog isnt even making it into their mouth
    JM76 likes this.

I'll second Fishin Technician's throw back technique. I like to use Strike King's Z-Too.
    Red X Angler

The first thing my Dad taught me about topwater fishing was...."Wait for the Weight on a topwater strike"
    JM76 likes this.

Just happened to see this video today on wired2fish

https://www.wired2fish.com/biology/e...ing-frog-fish/

I have the same problem with the Pad Crasher. I get so anxious with the blow-up, my initial reaction is to set the hook. Big mistake= missed fish. I,too, agree with the Technician on this one...
    JM76 likes this.

P-nut

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements