NC Angler Forums banner

Ramp Advice near Grandy

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Sound-Side 
#1 ·
This Thursday I plan to take my new to me 2014 Sea Hunt 234 Ultra down to our house in Grandy for the weekend. My plan is to launch and ride around lower Currituck sound and around Albemarle sound. I have no experience boating on the sounds so any advice would be appreciated. here are some questions I have.

1) I am not far from Sound Park in Point Harbor. I know the ram there has a steep incline. Is there any thing i should or shouldn't do when launching or taking out at those ramps?

2) Is it deep enough for my boat in that area? I believe the draft is 13 inches and then the lower unit.

3) How deep is the water under the bridge and is the northwestern end of Albemarle sound deep enough to run?

4) Are there any better rams in the area? The other one I know of is right over the bridge to Manteo but would prefer something closer.

Any other advice that you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Be really careful running Currituck. There are staubs that you might or might not see, depending on water levels. These staubs are old 4x4 or 8x8's that are from all the old duck blinds there. Be careful and keep an eye on the tides at Currituck. Its mostly fresh water-ish, but is very close to the ocean and is greatly affected by tides.
What part of Albemarle sound are you looking at? Its' typically pretty shallow close in to the shoreline, but a touch deeper farther out. A chart will be really helpful there. You don't have to worry about duck blind staubs, but you will need to watch out for Pound Net stakes. They are typically easier to see since they stick 4-6 feet over the surface of the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.