Hickory 8/22 PB

Thread: Hickory 8/22 PB

Default Hickory 8/22 PB

PB Kentucky Spot

I think I'm going to night fish. I caught a small largemouth at 6am.

I landed my personal best Spotted Bass at 7:30. 20.5" and 5lbs. Actually it's the largest Spot I have ever seen. State record is 6lbs 6oz.

I'm holding to my prediction that the new state record comes out of a Lake Hickory.

I bought a larger landing net and luckily I had it with me. Gawd what a fight!

Sorry about the poor picture. He was still going nuts after I measured him.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thats a pig good job.

Quote Originally Posted by geneinnc View Post
    PB Kentucky Spot

I think I'm going to night fish. I caught a small largemouth at 6am.

I landed my personal best Spotted Bass at 7:30. 20.5" and 5lbs. Actually it's the largest Spot I have ever seen. State record is 6lbs 6oz.

I'm holding to my prediction that the new state record comes out of a Lake Hickory.

I bought a larger landing net and luckily I had it with me. Gawd what a fight!

Sorry about the poor picture. He was still going nuts after I measured him.

That is a beautiful fish. I love those big spots. But it's not a kentucky spot. It's an Alabama strain. Will never see a Kentucky spot even half that size. They won't recognize a spotted bass for a record anywhere on the Catawba chain because of interbreeding
    geneinnc likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's awesome. Congrats!

I can't say what strain of spot that fish is but I can tell you that KY spots can get over 5 lbs. The KY state record is 7-10 and the OH state record is 5-8. I know for certain that neither of those fish are AL spots or even a mixed breed.

https://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Pages/State-R...nd-Awards.aspx

https://outdoorwritersofohio.org/cur...o-record-fish/
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedingblue View Post
    That's awesome. Congrats!

I can't say what strain of spot that fish is but I can tell you that KY spots can get over 5 lbs. The KY state record is 7-10 and the OH state record is 5-8. I know for certain that neither of those fish are AL spots or even a mixed breed.

https://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Pages/State-R...nd-Awards.aspx

https://outdoorwritersofohio.org/cur...o-record-fish/
    All of the spots in the Catawba river are Alabama strained spots which is why they get big. They all cake from lake keowee which came from the coosa river. The only Kentucky spots we have are in the upper yadkin and they are all very tiny.

Even assuming it's a Coosa Alabama bass, that's a nice fish! Congrats!
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    That is a beautiful fish. I love those big spots. But it's not a kentucky spot. It's an Alabama strain. Will never see a Kentucky spot even half that size. They won't recognize a spotted bass for a record anywhere on the Catawba chain because of interbreeding
    Just going by NC Wildlife. They claim Kentucky strain with 15" and 2 lbs Trophy status. That being the case I've probably got 20 trophy spots. I had never seen a spot until last spring.

Quote Originally Posted by geneinnc View Post
    Just going by NC Wildlife. They claim Kentucky strain with 15" and 2 lbs Trophy status. That being the case I've probably got 20 trophy spots. I had never seen a spot until last spring.

A Kentucky strained spot that goes over 2 lbs would be a trophy anywhere. The Alabama strain is different. I love those spots. I fish Norman and hickory every chance I get due to the spots. Have caught many over 5 lbs. They just keep bigger and bigger and more numerous in the Catawba chain. Much better than catching those green trash fish. Spots are the best thing that ever happened to several of our lakes.
    geneinnc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    Even assuming it's a Coosa Alabama bass, that's a nice fish! Congrats!
    Dang right, it's a tank.

A Kentucky strained spot that goes over 2 lbs would be a trophy anywhere. The Alabama strain is different. I love those spots. I fish Norman and hickory every chance I get due to the spots. Have caught many over 5 lbs. They just keep bigger and bigger and more numerous in the Catawba chain. Much better than catching those green trash fish. Spots are the best thing that ever happened to several of our lakes.
    Guess I need to head west with the yak soon and see what its all about.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements