Surf New to surf fishing. Help with setup

Thread: New to surf fishing. Help with setup

Default New to surf fishing. Help with setup

Hey everyone, new to surf casting. Forgive my lack of proper terminology!

I just bought my first setup. Penn III 6000LL combo with a MH 9', lure rating of 1-3oz. I spooled it with 20# line. When I bought it I thought it was 1-4 oz. Is that rod lure weight rating going to hold me back?

I plan on doing a mix of casting lures and bottom rigging. I was told I should have gotten a heavier rod to put 4oz-6oz and up pyramid weights. When bottom rigging I was hoping I could at least use a 3oz weight with some shrimp without overloading the rod. Worried that the rod only goes up to 3oz rating though.

I've got some lures and some bottom rigs set up with 2 oz and 3 oz weights. Should I return the rod for a 1-4 or heavier setup?

Any help is much appreciated, planning on hitting the obx this weekend!

-Murph

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There are several things to consider. Such as where do you plan on fishing and what the current and tide are there. For areas that don't have a lot of current 3 oz is plenty of weight for most of the time unless you are fishing big live bait of big cut bait. when conditions are calm, I stick with a 7foot set up with 2 oz weight. But I usually have a bigger set up with me just in case.

You will not have a problem casting a 4oz pyramid sinker with that rod. My experience has been that you will rarely need more than 3 oz. Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the input y'all! I plan on fishing the surf on cape lookout. The current tends to vary quiet a bit...my idea was that if it gets too heavy for my 3 oz sinker than switch over to casting lures.

Was worried bc I was being told my 1-3oz lure weight rod would essentially explode into 15 pieces as soon as I looked at a 4 oz+ sinker. I figured fighting fish would be more likely to break the rod and that it would just impact casting distance, like a golf club.

Quote Originally Posted by Feetup1 View Post
    You will not have a problem casting a 4oz pyramid sinker with that rod. My experience has been that you will rarely need more than 3 oz. Good luck.

What he said... You'll be fine with a 2 hook, bait and weight on that set up. I run 3 oz on a couple Penn 5000 w 9' MH rods for the majority of my fishing- whiting, trout, pompano, spot and such... Down the road you might want to Keep a 9' w/ 5000 rigged with sting silver, gotcha, or Hopkins for Blues/Spanish that come over the bar and I have a Penn 9000 on a Tika 12' heavy heaver for drum and a Diawa SL20 on a Tika 12'. You don't need it, most folks won't ever go after the big drum, but might want to down the road. You can cover everything you need from the surf with that outfit.

It sounds like your not going to be going after large fish with this setup. A 1-3 oz rod is fine for what you are doing and should handle 4oz no problem. If mainly fishing shrimp and similar baits I would highly suggest downsizing your line. I have several combos like yours and have 10-12lb mono on them. Three advantages to this. Much more line capacity, holds bottom better, and cast further as well. If it's 20lb braid your fine. But 20lb mono is too much for that style of fishing. Especially if casting lures.

Here's my take on surffishing.
    You can not buy just one rod / reel set up to fill all your surffishing needs.
    Different species of fish swim in different parts of the surf.
    Some shallow near the suds & others outside the outer bar.
    Different surfs from calm local to raging currents of Hatteras require different types, lengths, weights & strengths to reach, land those fish.

When we used to make several Hatteras trips a year, are arsenals had rods & reels for all types of fishing.
    From the back bay to the Point.
    7' & 7'6" limp rods with reels (3000 series) spooled with 10 braid that could throw MirrOlures for Trout.
    9' & 10' rods with 5000 series spinning reels spooled with 30# braid to make long cast with metal lures.
    12' heavers with conventional reels spooled with 17# mono that could handle 8oz. plus weight and bait for Stripers.

Forgive me for being bluntly honest but you basically purchased a starter kit, not perfect, but good for fishing bait / casting metal for Reds.
    Will it handle other species yes, but catching a Speckled Trout & some others species won't be fun.

So keep it, pick a species you want to target & where. So we can address that.
    Hope this helps.....ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post
    Here's my take on surffishing.
    You can not buy just one rod / reel set up to fill all your surffishing needs.
    Different species of fish swim in different parts of the surf.
    Some shallow near the suds & others outside the outer bar.
    Different surfs from calm local to raging currents of Hatteras require different types, lengths, weights & strengths to reach, land those fish.

When we used to make several Hatteras trips a year, are arsenals had rods & reels for all types of fishing.
    From the back bay to the Point.
    7' & 7'6" limp rods with reels (3000 series) spooled with 10 braid that could throw MirrOlures for Trout.
    9' & 10' rods with 5000 series spinning reels spooled with 30# braid to make long cast with metal lures.
    12' heavers with conventional reels spooled with 17# mono that could handle 8oz. plus weight and bait for Stripers.

Forgive me for being bluntly honest but you basically purchased a starter kit, not perfect, but good for fishing bait / casting metal for Reds.
    Will it handle other species yes, but catching a Speckled Trout & some others species won't be fun.

So keep it, pick a species you want to target & where. So we can address that.
    Hope this helps.....ICM
    I'd say his rod is a pretty good setup for catching mullet, pompano, puppydrum, and other similar sized fish. Will even work well for throwing metal to Spanish.

Not a good rod for trout. But it will cover almost anything in between trout and big drum. That combo can do a lot.

Agree with these guys... Like I was trying to illustrate w my post, once you start down the surf fishing road, you'll find yourself with a multitude of rod/reel combos to fit different situations

Quote Originally Posted by Mumbo_Pungo View Post
    I'd say his rod is a pretty good setup for catching mullet, pompano, puppydrum, and other similar sized fish. Will even work well for throwing metal to Spanish.

Not a good rod for trout. But it will cover almost anything in between trout and big drum. That combo can do a lot.
    I agree that the combo can do a lot, but not all or well.

Rods to stiff, reels too large & too heavy.
    Fatigue will set in from casting small 1 oz. metal to Spanish.
    Good for fishing bait to slot Reds in the suds on a local beach.
    Won't be as much fun landing them....... ICM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dxrjAlWEWk

I'm using Shimano Teramar 8' MH - reel Penn Battle 3000 spooled with 15# braid Gulp Shrimp on 3/8 oz. jig head.
    Mungo was using similar set up throwing 1/4 oz. jig.
    Local beach & the school of Reds was in close...... ICM

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post

I agree that the combo can do a lot, but not all or well.

Rods to stiff, reels too large & too heavy.
    Fatigue will set in from casting small 1 oz. metal to Spanish.
    Good for fishing bait to slot Reds in the suds on a local beach.
    Won't be as much fun landing them....... ICM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dxrjAlWEWk

I'm using Shimano Teramar 8' MH - reel Penn Battle 3000 spooled with 15# braid Gulp Shrimp on 3/8 oz. jig head.
    Mungo was using similar set up throwing 1/4 oz. jig.
    Local beach & the school of Reds was in close...... ICM
    Agree. But if he plans on soaking shrimp like he said then he will be fine.

Fishing for reds like you do is not something even a lot of surf fishermen do. That's a specialized fishery. Kinda like trout fishing in the surf. I throw 9ft rod with a 3000 reel and 12lb braid. Rod is made for throwing 1/4 to 1/2 oz lures. Thats all and good but I would never recommend that set up to a person getting into surf fishing.

Agree. But if he plans on soaking shrimp like he said then he will be fine.

Fishing for reds like you do is not something even a lot of surf fishermen do. That's a specialized fishery. Kinda like trout fishing in the surf. I throw 9ft rod with a 3000 reel and 12lb braid. Rod is made for throwing 1/4 to 1/2 oz lures. Thats all and good but I would never recommend that set up to a person getting into surf fishing.
    Couldn't agree with more about specialized fishing for Trout & Reds. Or any other species
    That's the point. Taylor your surffishing gear or outfits to match your targeted species.
    I won't take a Trout set up to target Bull Reds.
    Buying a surf outfit you need to know what you want to catch & where. ......ICM

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements