Danny Case Record Going Down

Thread: Danny Case Record Going Down

Default Danny Case Record Going Down

Okay maybe a little over zealous with NC record and hard to imagine a 4.5lber, but here is my bluegill (pretty sure it is at least) caught this evening. 12.1-5" inch range and wondering why I didn't weigh it, but I feel like at least 2.5lbs. It was at least 2" wide. Anyways it was a fun little fight and I've only seen cricket and cork sizes growing up. I could have done without the smell though...stinky rascal! Was at a Lake Hickory Oxford dam boat landing at the dock popping a metal wahoo jig.

Don't fish for records or anything, but would be cool to have one I reckon. I guess you would have to take a fish somewhere that has certified scales. What would you do if a place was closed until next morning? Put on a stringer maybe or in a bucket. Who would do that around Hickory?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Blue.jpg‎
Views:	153
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	195471 Click image for larger version.

Name:	Blue2.jpg‎
Views:	131
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	195473
    badankles, Fishscalz, and SurfRider like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Okay makes mine look like a minnow...wouldn't want that smiling kids record any way. Jeez thats huge
    badankles, Fishscalz, fodder, and SurfRider like this.

Thats a shellcracker, not a bluegill

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yep. Good shellcracker/stumpknocker.
    Back in May, we were catching 17" shellcrackers during the spawn. It was a little surreal, having sunfish take drag on a 7 weight (couldn't keep them out of the hurricane debris with a 5 weight!).
    12 inches is a nice one! I'd say our usual average is 8-10". NC record is near 5 pounds for shellcrackers...

Name:	20190823_115048_1566575468641.jpg‎
Views:	66
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	195485 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20190823_115036_1566575477200.jpg‎
Views:	65
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	195487 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20190823_115011_1566575488431.jpg‎
Views:	63
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	195489 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20190823_114958_1566575504068.jpg‎
Views:	57
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	195491
    badankles, Fishscalz, and SurfRider like this.

Lifelong fishing nut. Wish I was fishin, instead of wishing!

That is a Shellcracker and its a nice one but pretty common and the average size of those normally push over a pound. I don't think your even close to a record but none the less- nice fish !
    SurfRider likes this.

I know Danny and went to school with his daughter. I have seen that mount in person a few times. It is definitely bigger than it looks in that photo. It seriously looks like a trash can lid.
    badankles, and SurfRider like this.

"Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been"
    Red X Angler

Nice catch. I seem to get the bigger ones on bait, around twilight. I seldom get the larger ones on artificials.
    SurfRider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sekod View Post
    Yep. Good shellcracker/stumpknocker.
    Back in May, we were catching 17" shellcrackers during the spawn. It was a little surreal, having sunfish take drag on a 7 weight (couldn't keep them out of the hurricane debris with a 5 weight!).
    12 inches is a nice one! I'd say our usual average is 8-10". NC record is near 5 pounds for shellcrackers...
    Those are some HOSS Shellcrackers
    SurfRider likes this.

Interesting and I wasn't for sure, but will know next time. Quote from above " I seldom get the larger ones on artificials." Skills bro skills!
    Fishscalz, Sam in GA, and SurfRider like this.

Very impressive and then sekod shows and tells of flyrod catch! Wow, wishing I was fishing wherever you guys were!
    thanks for pics

Sekod can put you on some HUGE Shellcrackers, that I can vouch for.
    Red X angler

Come on up! Got another one (shellcracker that is) the other evening size 10.

Name:	20190826_192824.jpg‎
Views:	123
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	195543
    badankles likes this.

Default Record?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltblood View Post
    Okay maybe a little over zealous with NC record and hard to imagine a 4.5lber, but here is my bluegill (pretty sure it is at least) caught this evening. 12.1-5" inch range and wondering why I didn't weigh it, but I feel like at least 2.5lbs. It was at least 2" wide. Anyways it was a fun little fight and I've only seen cricket and cork sizes growing up. I could have done without the smell though...stinky rascal! Was at a Lake Hickory Oxford dam boat landing at the dock popping a metal wahoo jig.

Don't fish for records or anything, but would be cool to have one I reckon. I guess you would have to take a fish somewhere that has certified scales. What would you do if a place was closed until next morning? Put on a stringer maybe or in a bucket. Who would do that around Hickory?
    Don't want to burst your bubble, but it looks like a shellcracker to me. Not unusual to see them that big.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrattain View Post
    Don't want to burst your bubble, but it looks like a shellcracker to me. Not unusual to see them that big.
    Always best to read the thread before posting... pretty sure that's been covered. Darn nice shellcrackers, boys!
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements