Light test weight for NC Bass fishing

Thread: Light test weight for NC Bass fishing

Default Light test weight for NC Bass fishing

Alright y'all, I'm wondering what size line you all are running out there. I heard on a podcast/video that most hardbait depths are based on 10lb test. Not sure if that is true or not. Just spoiled by new spinning reel with 10lb and now I worry that I might go through a lot of line and lose a lot of fish/lures.
    -What size test do you all typically run and do the limits on the reel really matter?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

In open water, 10 is OK all around. Make sure that you use good knots and test them.
    If you are fishing docks or medium heavy cover, 15 would be a better choice.
    If you fish rip rap or heavy vegetation, 20 is the way to go.
    jerry condrey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishscalz View Post
    In open water, 10 is OK all around. Make sure that you use good knots and test them.
    If you are fishing docks or medium heavy cover, 15 would be a better choice.
    If you fish rip rap or heavy vegetation, 20 is the way to go.
    Thanks for the info!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

I use 8-10 pound test for most applications that are relatively open water with cranks. Heavier in thicker cover situations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

I fish 10 lb test around heavy cover with moving baits (cranks, spinnerbaits, etc.) and I rarely lose fish. However, it is P-line CXX and it truly fishes more like 12 or 14 lb test. It isn't a good application for spinning gear anyway as it is stiff which makes it hard to manage.

For spinning gear I think 10 lb test is a good size. If you start into 12+ the thickness of the line makes it hard to manage unless you have a reel with a very large diameter spool. If you are using spinning gear and like fishing the gnarly stuff braided line is a better choice. You get the strength without the line capacity and manageability issues you get with large test mono/fluoro on spinning gear. If you are worried about visibility then tie on a leader.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

Crankbaits I generally use 10lb mono, maybe 12 or 14 on a squarebill in heavy cover. Topwater I use 12 or 14, Jigs and plastic applications 14, 17 or 20 floro depending on lure and cover. Finesse tactics I use 8lb mono, spinner/buzzbaits 14lb mono. If you have your drag set right and retie frequently checking for nicks you shouldn't have any issues with breaking off for the most part.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements