NC Angler Forums banner

Gull problems with topwater

Inshore 
916 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bmac 
#1 ·
The last two weekends I’ve had a problem with aggressive gulls going after my spook jrs. ruining every casts by picking them up for about 20 ft and then dropping them. Last Sat I finally actually caught one that I had to wrestle in the boat, finally holding him in a towel while I got the treble hook out of his leg. It kind of ruined the morning serenity.
Going to try again tomorrow and wondering if you guys have any tips to avoid? Dancing around on the front of the boat like a crazy man waving my rod around seems to just get them more excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I've hooked gulls, pelicans, even gators, but never an osprey (thank goodness). About all you can do when the gulls start swarming is switch to a subsurface bait. They've been really thick and aggressive the past few days on the New River with this cold front. The bait looks like it's concentrating & it won't be long before it starts moving out to the inlets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.