Line chafing/fraying

Thread: Line chafing/fraying

Default Line chafing/fraying

I use mono on a spinning rod. I've been having a lot of noise when reeling in, especially crankbaits from the amount of resistance they have. I noticed that the mono was really coarse feeling. After re spooling with fresh line it has already roughed up the new line; I figured it might. I tried the q tip trick, running a q tip through the guides. No cotton was pulled off. It is a fenwick rod, not sure what material is used in the eyelets. Any ideas? Also would any of that noise be transmitted down the line into the water as the lure travels? Sometimes the reeling would slow down and feel like the reel was gummed up. But if you take the reel off of the rod it free wheels all day long! What's going on?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Q-tip test or no everything you are describing indicates a cracked, grooved, or missing ceramic insert in one of the guides. Most likely the tip-top. Inspect closely with a flashlight or out in the sun and you will find the problem.
    Chris52 likes this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

Ok I'll have to try a flashlight. It must be really small. Another suggestion I received was the roller in the bail, but it appeared fairly smooth as s well.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Make sure you check the tip guide........

Don't forget to check the roller on the reel bail. It could be damaged or locking up or have a guiding edge that is damaging the line.

I would guess missing guide insert if you get constant noise. Excessive line twist can cause problems with roughness too.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Dear bertboy90, Yeah, it sure sounds to me like a bad line guide. If you can find someone in a fishing club who builds rods, they can put on a new guide in several days. Several days? Putting on the new guide doesn’t take that long but putting the epoxy on, letting it dry and they putting on a second coat will take two days. As for the reel, you might take it apart and see if the grease/oil/lubricant is all gummed up. Hope this helps. You don’t want to fish with frayed line, especially since the primary causes are so quick to fix. Also, check the bail on your spinning rod to see if there is a burr in the pick-up roller. But I bet it is a bad guide insert.

If you find a bad guide I could rewrap it for you if you come towards Cary or Morrisville.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Th thanks for the input. I believe it its is the bail roller o took it apart and returned tightened it back pretty good. I think the line was getting wedged between the roller and the bail arm. Theres is a tiny gap there. It is almost non existent on a new reel. I wonder if the little plastic bushing behind the roller has worn down down to allow that gap to grow bigger.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements