Looking for bowfin

Thread: Looking for bowfin

Question Looking for bowfin

I am new to this site, hoping to get some advice on good places near me to catch some bowfin, big or small. I am unsure of the best times or what lures/bait to use to catch these fish but they look cool to me and I want to see one in person! I am in cary off of hwy 55 by panther creek high school, if anyone knows good areas please let me know!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Try Eno River. Use cut baits just like catfishing, launch at red mill ramp and go downstream about 1 mile or so and start fishing. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice, I am trying to save up for a kayak now but unfortunately do not have one, is this a place with easy to access shore fishing? Or do you know of any good places that do not require a boat?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There is some bank fishing near the ramp but you will have to walk a bit, don't know how good fishing is but I see people there all the time.

Check out some of the waterfowl impoundments in the Jordan Lake area. Also where 751 crosses white oak creek, beaver creek and northeast creek. There fishing access off of Lystra road, that would also be a good area to try. They seem to love those flat swampy areas. I catch most of mine near those areas on plastics or jigs in those areas when the water level is up. I have heard they will bite cut bait and I am sure they would probably relish a live bream or perch too.
    jerry condrey likes this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by FalcoT View Post
    I am new to this site, hoping to get some advice on good places near me to catch some bowfin, big or small. I am unsure of the best times or what lures/bait to use to catch these fish but they look cool to me and I want to see one in person! I am in cary off of hwy 55 by panther creek high school, if anyone knows good areas please let me know!
    Where ever u decide to go for them they absolutely LOVE Powerbait craws. I’m a little more east of you and when I specifically go out looking for them I only use a Texas rigged power bait craw targeting motionless, shallow water that has some type of cover and/or structure. Use nothing but straight braid with a stout hook; anything other than that most will all break off.

Stagecoach road waterfowl impoundment area is LOADED with Bowfin in the spring. I'm pretty sure after a hard rain and the creek rises that they are probably abundant in there as well.

Got this one today on a wacky worm. Im going to try those Power craws.
    ~JOE~
    rascals dad likes this.

Solo Dei Gloria

Just saw a massive one yesterday where Jordan ends at the rocks of the Haw. It was basking in the top of a fallen pine tree. By the time I was able to reach for the rod with the Speedcraw, it turned and slowly swam into the depths. It's tail was as big as a softball!
    I would have loved to have hooked that one...
    P-nut

with those powercraws, do you just slow hop them on the floor? or do you swim them? I'm looking to catch my first dogfish also!

Quote Originally Posted by senatordan View Post
    with those powercraws, do you just slow hop them on the floor? or do you swim them? I'm looking to catch my first dogfish also!
    With the craws, I slow hop or a painfully slow drag with a single “pop” every so often. Not sure what it is, but I works for me a lot. If I’m swimming something for them, I always use a white swim bait Texas rigged or a chartreuse chatter bait with a white paddle tail. Most of the time with the craw, I don’t feel the hit; just feel the weight. They CRUSH the chatterbait though..

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements