Anyone pour their own soft plastics or design some?

Thread: Anyone pour their own soft plastics or design some?

Default Anyone pour their own soft plastics or design some?

Here are some I like to fish with:
    Very nice !!!

I've been pouring and designing my own plastics for over 10 years and love catching fish on them - far more than store bought overpriced lures. Here are a few, some which I designed, some of which catch most species of fish :
    fat tail grub:

mini-sticks:

stubby tail grubs with more of a point:

topwater lure made using a spoon as a mold:

made #11 and #1 copies of Uncle Josh Pork Frogs in plaster molds before they went out of business:

made this super thin tailed minnow using a tipped floor tile:

(cut out the shape with a box cutter blade and dipped the front half a few times to thicken the body. I catches everything!

Used the thin tails to fool around making these, attaching the parts with a candle flame:

cheap swimbait molds from Lurecraft.com produce these nice lures that bass attack:
    design A:

design B:

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Very nice. Ive done a little bit of bait making but all was done while in Arizona with a friend. He owns a custom mold shop out there and I poured some with him. Pretty awesome stuff. Im supposed to pick up some plastisol and an injector to shoot a few baits with, but never have. One day.... www.cncmoldsnstuff.com

I never saw a need to pour plastic but do pour lead. Shakeyheads and underspins cost a fortune for what they are. I can also modify my shakeyheads to work as a ned head or leave the hardware out of my underspin to be a swimbait head.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This looks very interesting. I would like to learn more about pouring my own plastics? Can you recommend the best way to get started?
    Thank you.

Making lures and catching fish on them is the most satisfying hobby I can think of. I started making my own in-line spinners (Mepps) many year ago as well as painted on different patterns on crankbaits with nail polish and caught fish on both. Other lure types were made by me and caught fish.

When it comes to soft plastic, plastisol, a pyrex cup and mold is needed. It comes in a jug and is white in color until cooked to 280 degrees in a microwave (candy thermometer at first). You pour the amount you need into a Pyrex pitcher and unless you use a plastic dye, the lure will come out clear - yet still catches fish in your shape of choice when you add heat resistant glitter.

There are many companies that sell molds but a source from the Ukraine is super cheap (via Amazon) with free shipping. There's a company that sells over 400 molds ranging in price from $10 - $80 in many shapes and sizes - some are classic. Aluminum molds produce the greatest detail but silicone molds do fine producing particular lure actions and cost far less than metal. You can make plaster mold copies of certain lures (see Uncle Josh pork frog copy above) and lures made from those molds do as good as the original.

M-F Industries plastics are my favorite source for plastisol (soft, medium and firm) and for their dye colors. I sell glitter that is heat resistant so I never need to buy more. Craft glitter is not for heating in plastic that's near 300 degrees. It's only good for the surface of finished lure using glue.

A candle flame and a pair of scissors does great attaching the parts of different plastic lures together which is what I do a majority of the time seeing as how many bags I've collected over 40 years. (See the photos in the original post.) I call them hybrids.

Making your own and catching many fish species is surprising and satisfying. Try it - you won't stop!

Thank you for the information, this will be very helpful!!

Recently started designing and making my own baits, made a 4" bass/perch shadstyle bait.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20190905_132551_092_1572253937570.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	196131

Name:	20190924_105106_1572253768062.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	196125

Name:	IMG_20191008_110819_304_1572253845157.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	196127
    2,1lb perch on my own lure.

Name:	received_2746796158698670_1572253981169.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	196133
    First fish on the 4" shad was a 40" northern pike 👍

Working on a master now for a 8" bait for musky and northern pike.

Name:	20191028_101552_1572254173418.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	196135

Nothing like it! ...especially when you catch fish on your own creations !

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements