New Kayaker

Thread: New Kayaker

Default New Kayaker

Just bought my first kayak. Looking to see if there are other kayakers in the Charlotte area I can fish with for kayak pointers and safety. Thanks in advance.

-jeff

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not in Charlotte but some safety items.

When it's cold do not wear warm clothes that will soak up and hold water. They could weigh you down enough to create a poor outcome if you were to roll.

As far as rolling keep your head inside the kayak and the chances go way way down My only time flipping my kayak was when an item was falling out and I reached out "too far" to grab it and unfortunately everything just kept on going. By too far - head over the edge as I was reaching out.

I do not use an anchor. I have two tomato stakes (Cheap at Lowe's Hardware) that I use if I want to stay in one place. I also have a 3 ft bungee cord in the kayak to use if I want to tie off some where to fish.

There are many videos on you-tube about kayak safety. Even though many are for ocean kayak fishing they still have good pointers and items to consider.

A small first aid kit is a good ideal especially for fish hook mishaps. Much like manure they do occur!!!!

Wear your life vest and invest in some leashes to secure your fishing rods and other gear to your yak. Also you should take your yak out and purposely flip it to learn how to get back in it and how hard it is to do it. Stow a dry bag in it with a change of clothes just in case.
    ~JOE~
    DoctorDoom, and rascals dad like this.

Solo Dei Gloria

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ceaffo View Post
    Just bought my first kayak. Looking to see if there are other kayakers in the Charlotte area I can fish with for kayak pointers and safety. Thanks in advance.

-jeff
    What kind of kayak did you get? I kayak fish on Lake Norman since I sold the fishing pontoon! Still learning!

I got the Hobie Outback. I got on the water today for the first time. Put in at the kayak launch at Latta Plantation.

Going to try to do it again tomorrow.

Keeping organized is key. Limit your fishing gear at 1st slowly add more as you develope a system.

Different anchors for different bodies of water / wind conditions. Retractable dog leashes could help organize your anchor line. I use a diving reel since I used to frequent salt water, & I like to use a 2' length of heavy chain as an anchor when I can get away with it, if its windy I use a quick link to add another 2'. Anchors can get you in trouble in current! You've got pedals so consider leaving the anchor at home. I dont have pedals anymore & I love to employ a drift sock when conditions are right. Again this requires organization to keep things uncluttered & some practice.

Anchors & drift socks best used with trolleys.

I like to keep essential tools secured to their own retractable lines beneath the front of my seat, as well as a knife that will easily cut rope.

Consider a flag, perhaps a horn. Obviously you need a pdf, whistle, & at night a bright white light.

Take a few trips before you start investing in modifications & drilling holes in your boat.

I take a lot of drinking water in a huge thermos.

When you get lurea hung up in overhanging branches thoroughly check for snakes/stinging insects as you approach & in some of the places used to frequent I began to only beat the bank with lures I wouldn't be upset with just breaking off.

Prep your boat before the ramp & have a efficient system for quick launching & removal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Chris52 likes this.

There is some pretty good fishing to the East of you in the Yadkin River/Pee Dee chain of lakes. You can find Smallmouth up the Uhwarrie River. We usually launch at Morrow Mountain and paddle up the Uhwarrie,although, it gets kind of shallow upriver and that could create problems with a Pedal Drive boat.
    As mentioned
    Keep your shoulders inside the gunwales
    Always wear a PFD
    Organization is the key in a kayak
    I seldom carry an anchor,tending to use a drag chain or drift sock. I also have a stake out pole that i use in certain places.
    Always carry some form of paddle in case your peddle system stops functioning.

You will enjoy kayak fishing

I fish in the North Charlotte area, Mt Island, Lake Norman mainly but I'm not exactly a experienced kayak angler. Just got into the sport last year

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements