New Kayaker

Thread: New Kayaker

Default New Kayaker

Just bought my first kayak. Looking to see if there are other kayakers in the Charlotte area I can fish with for kayak pointers and safety. Thanks in advance.

-jeff

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not in Charlotte but some safety items.

When it's cold do not wear warm clothes that will soak up and hold water. They could weigh you down enough to create a poor outcome if you were to roll.

As far as rolling keep your head inside the kayak and the chances go way way down My only time flipping my kayak was when an item was falling out and I reached out "too far" to grab it and unfortunately everything just kept on going. By too far - head over the edge as I was reaching out.

I do not use an anchor. I have two tomato stakes (Cheap at Lowe's Hardware) that I use if I want to stay in one place. I also have a 3 ft bungee cord in the kayak to use if I want to tie off some where to fish.

There are many videos on you-tube about kayak safety. Even though many are for ocean kayak fishing they still have good pointers and items to consider.

A small first aid kit is a good ideal especially for fish hook mishaps. Much like manure they do occur!!!!

Wear your life vest and invest in some leashes to secure your fishing rods and other gear to your yak. Also you should take your yak out and purposely flip it to learn how to get back in it and how hard it is to do it. Stow a dry bag in it with a change of clothes just in case.
    ~JOE~
    DoctorDoom likes this.

Solo Dei Gloria

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ceaffo View Post
    Just bought my first kayak. Looking to see if there are other kayakers in the Charlotte area I can fish with for kayak pointers and safety. Thanks in advance.

-jeff
    What kind of kayak did you get? I kayak fish on Lake Norman since I sold the fishing pontoon! Still learning!

I got the Hobie Outback. I got on the water today for the first time. Put in at the kayak launch at Latta Plantation.

Going to try to do it again tomorrow.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements