Flounder Poachers - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flounder Poachers

I was working down around Blount's Creek about 3 weeks ago and the customer told me she saw her neighbors cleaning several nice Rock the day before with the season being closed. Also had a friend tell me about someone I know that has a place on Dawson's Creek who had 2 good size coolers full of speckled trout with most being under size. I hear it all the time. There needs to be more enforcement on the water. I think the last time I was checked by a game warden was about 3 years ago at the ramp on Radio Island. He was looking in my cooler for gray trout and I had my limit of 1. I guess if you didn't see a Highway Patrolman on the road in 3 years you might want to speed.
    Feetup1, and sporkd2 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Here is another thing to consider. Lots of people dont even know its closed. There has been no email and I dont see it posted either on doors of businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    Here is another thing to consider. Lots of people dont even know its closed. There has been no email and I dont see it posted either on doors of businesses.
    This is a good point, with regulations changing on what seems to be every few months. They have the contact information for everyone who purchased a license, should be some type of correspondence.

Hate to say it, but illegal catches are rampant. I see violations frequently. The only times I have been checked was one time at a public ramp when I had a flat tire on my trailer and the Officer helped me out with a block of wood and then asked if we had any fish, the other was on the water on a holiday weekend.

At the end end of the day, enforcement is important and could be better, but is an after the fact event. The wholesale lack of personal responsibility is the real issue. Really do not relish the idea of constantly being checked being the answer to illegal catches. Not sure where things are going, but growing up you could go into a public restroom and it was more than likely clean, now public restrooms are pig sty’s that are beyond disgusting, sign of the times. In summary, people suck.
    GreyGhost likes this.

2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO, Carolina Blue
    Jackson Coosa FD, Native Ultimate 14.5, CCA Member

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Default Rock runners

Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    I got an email from WRC on the rock closure. Nothing public on the flounder closure, but is on DMF website.NCDENR.DENR.DMF.NewsRelease.
    Shopping for some tackle at Academy today and discussion broke out on rec fishing regs. One guy said he’ll keep what he wants cause God created them for his use. Another guy said that people are catching rock close to his camper and running them back to the house, then out to catch another.
    Last edited by Feetup1; 09-10-2019 at 07:24 PM. Reason: New info

They are managing it....just not the way you nor a lot of other fisherman would like.

I truly think that everyone should follow the rules, but I can appreciate the feeling that as long as the season is still open to commercial fisherman, as usual the sport fisherman is get screwed. Close it for everyone or not at all.

But the state has a budget surplus....?

You start seizing boats, trucks, fishing tackle etc when people are caught willingly violating wildlife laws and I'm sure you'd see a decrease in infractions.
    brooksemerson4, and Wellred like this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crappie89 View Post
    You start seizing boats, trucks, fishing tackle etc when people are caught willingly violating wildlife laws and I'm sure you'd see a decrease in infractions.
    How many people are actually caught violating wildlife laws? I have a hard time believing there are very many...

Where I live lots of citations given, most are hunting violations though. I won't report specifics because they come second hand friend of a friend. Perhaps a game warden (or former) will chime in. Two weeks ago a young hunter shot a turkey from the window of a pickup truck and got BBQ'd.
    I will concur I have not had my boat boarded by a ranger at Kerr Scott in 5 years or more so the odds are better than even that a perp will get by with it for a while until he doesn't.
    Feetup1 likes this.

Please Don't block the ramp or the dock. My pontoon and crew cab require a wide berth.
    Dave, Teresa and Greg

Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
    How many people are actually caught violating wildlife laws? I have a hard time believing there are very many...
    Probably not many. It seems like DMF is more concerned with monitoring drunken boating and checking life preservers. I guess if people knew they had more to lose than just paying a ticket it might deter people keeping more than their limit.
    4acres, and Feetup1 like this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

I keep seeing commercial netters hauling their boats out of the water at the Fort Fisher ramp with their catches early in the mornings after soaking nets all night. They aren't being checked, they have no numbers on their boats and no license plates on the trailers. I'm sure their catches are all legal. Makes me sick to see what is happening to the fisheries in our state. Look what has been done for Texas, Louisiana, Florida, SC by really putting the hammer down. Tons of fish, huge recreational business, plenty of fish and shrimp for the commercial group-all because of strict management.
    GreyGhost, and Sound-Side like this.

Hobie Pro Angler 14
    Ist Place Oak Island Classic Trout Division, 2nd place TCM Tournament Trout Division

I would like a few to eat too and am on the fence as to if the closure was really needed. But the law is the law. Ant with the closure there should be more and bigger flounder when lifted. Hopefully once a few poachers get caught the courts will make an example of them. That would help reduce the number wantind to risk getting caught.
    satguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitburger View Post
    I would like a few to eat too and am on the fence as to if the closure was really needed. But the law is the law. Ant with the closure there should be more and bigger flounder when lifted. Hopefully once a few poachers get caught the courts will make an example of them. That would help reduce the number wantind to risk getting caught.
    I was thinking the same thing. I've caught a ton of 13 and 14 incher's this year. I'm thinking they should be around 17.5 inches next year if they make it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flounder facts.JPG‎ 
Views:	217 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	195717  

You "they will be bigger next year" types do realize commercial fishing is about to gear back up, right?
    brhunt likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast