Flounder Poachers - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flounder Poachers

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

[QUOTE=Wellred;1217801]I keep seeing commercial netters hauling their boats out of the water at the Fort Fisher ramp with their catches early in the mornings after soaking nets all night. They aren't being checked, they have no numbers on their boats and no license plates on the trailers. I'm sure their catches are all legal. Makes me sick to see what is happening to the fisheries in our state. Look what has been done for Texas, Louisiana, Florida, SC by really putting the hammer down. Tons of fish, huge recreational business, plenty of fish and shrimp for the commercial group-all because of strict management.[/QUOTE

Have you made a call to report the no tags and no numbers on their boats. This would make me think the catches are not all legal if they fail to show boat numbers and license plates. SC and Florida have a great fisheries and I would like to fish SC more if a few of my friends would join in.
    Wellred likes this.

Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

HotSoup,
    Didn't know that. Just looked it up and once again the rec guy who was already limited to 4 per trip,which is not anything near every day has to subsidize an industry that was already allocated a 74%increase over the 2017 numbers at a time when the species was being closely monitored. Pretty obvious that there is no science in the decision making.

I was a legislator back in the 90's and a big supporter of the net ban bill that was introduced back then. A number of us have known for many years the NC saltwater fishing was headed in a downward spiral, but we never had enough political "muscle" to make any changes. Let me share three observations from looking at this issue for over twenty years.

First, in the legislature you have to deal with a huge spectrum of issues. You look for individuals that have knowledge in certain fields and they become the internal go-to person. For example, someone that is a doctor or dentist will be the key person for medical issues. The vast majority of legislators do not fish. Because saltwater fishing is an "Eastern thing", they have let the eastern legislators take over the issue. It is very hard to find a legislator from the Piedmont or Mountains that will stand up for us recreational fishermen.

Second is that it cost a lot of money to run a campaign. Those TV commercials and all those mailings have a big cost. There are a number of wealthy commercial fishing interests that do make significant contributions. The money does have influence.

Third, and most important of all, is votes. Job security for a legislator is getting more votes than your opponent. In Eastern NC, the commercial industry has lots of extended family members and sympathizers. It doesn't matter if you are a Republican or Democrat, a legislator, and to a degree, the Governor, cannot afford to lose the votes of the commercial families/sympathizers. One thing that could change the voting landscape is the number of retirees that are moving to the coastal communities.

For the first time in many years, I will not be going down to the coast for a fall fishing week. My money will stay in Raleigh and be used somewhere else. If the economy is hurt from the fishing regulations, maybe the tourism industry will join in with us recreational fishermen. We'll have to see. For now, it looks like I will be spending a lot more time on Jordan and Harris.
    4acres, bmac, brooksemerson4, Feetup1, and satguy like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Why can't a class action lawsuit be brought against the Marine Fisheries Commission? The public has a right to redress their government.

Quote Originally Posted by NCflatfish View Post
    I was a legislator back in the 90's and a big supporter of the net ban bill that was introduced back then. A number of us have known for many years the NC saltwater fishing was headed in a downward spiral, but we never had enough political "muscle" to make any changes. Let me share three observations from looking at this issue for over twenty years.

First, in the legislature you have to deal with a huge spectrum of issues. You look for individuals that have knowledge in certain fields and they become the internal go-to person. For example, someone that is a doctor or dentist will be the key person for medical issues. The vast majority of legislators do not fish. Because saltwater fishing is an "Eastern thing", they have let the eastern legislators take over the issue. It is very hard to find a legislator from the Piedmont or Mountains that will stand up for us recreational fishermen.

Second is that it cost a lot of money to run a campaign. Those TV commercials and all those mailings have a big cost. There are a number of wealthy commercial fishing interests that do make significant contributions. The money does have influence.

Third, and most important of all, is votes. Job security for a legislator is getting more votes than your opponent. In Eastern NC, the commercial industry has lots of extended family members and sympathizers. It doesn't matter if you are a Republican or Democrat, a legislator, and to a degree, the Governor, cannot afford to lose the votes of the commercial families/sympathizers. One thing that could change the voting landscape is the number of retirees that are moving to the coastal communities.

For the first time in many years, I will not be going down to the coast for a fall fishing week. My money will stay in Raleigh and be used somewhere else. If the economy is hurt from the fishing regulations, maybe the tourism industry will join in with us recreational fishermen. We'll have to see. For now, it looks like I will be spending a lot more time on Jordan and Harris.

Thank you for the clarity. Now we need a path to affect the influence of this eastern commercial pocket. Head scratching that Pitt County has more licensed commercial fishermen than any other and is land locked.???

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

Lots of conjecture, opinion, and politics. I would recommend reading the actual amendment. Page 11 presents the rationale for the commercial season. The document also explains the recreational closure based on peak harvest times. Regardless which side of the fence you are on, the DMF is bound by statute to reduce overfishing on this species. The amendment outlines a plan to do that. Should have happened 10 years ago, but at least now there is a science-based plan going forward. http://portal.ncdenr.org/c/document_...LFE-141220.pdf

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    bmac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellred View Post
    I keep seeing commercial netters hauling their boats out of the water at the Fort Fisher ramp with their catches early in the mornings after soaking nets all night. They aren't being checked, they have no numbers on their boats and no license plates on the trailers. I'm sure their catches are all legal. Makes me sick to see what is happening to the fisheries in our state. Look what has been done for Texas, Louisiana, Florida, SC by really putting the hammer down. Tons of fish, huge recreational business, plenty of fish and shrimp for the commercial group-all because of strict management.
    There is a difference between poachers and commercial fishermen. Commercial fishermen have no need to sneak around at night.

I have been fishing the piers on the NC and SC coasts since I was 6 yrs old. I am now 77. It has NOT been worth the trip to the coast for at least 5 yrs. The last time I fished Jennette's Pier on the Outer Bands, we fished two weeks (every day). In that time I caught exactly one decent Whiting.

I contribute this to two things.
    1. Commercial fishing boats are allow to drop their nets anywhere they please. No one is checking them for licenses or for legal catches. This should NOT be allowed to go on.
    2. Global Warming - It only takes a small warming of the world's oceans and seas to create disaster. I believe this has already happened. Either fish are spawning at different places or NOT at all.

I know it not going to happen in my life time, but people needed need to get their heads out of their asses and demand something done about it.
    Getting off my band wagon.
    cervus, Fishscalz, sporkd2, and Wellred like this.

I have contacted them and it is always the same thing- "we are so understaffed, we can't be everywhere and see everything".
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    Ist and 2nd Place Oak Island Classic Trout Division , 2nd place TCM Tournament Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Wellred View Post
    I have contacted them and it is always the same thing- "we are so understaffed, we can't be everywhere and see everything".
    That's almost certainly true.

Otherwise, not to take away from arguments in favor of more commercial restrictions/net bans/etc. as I'm all in favor, but it does surprise me to hear people say they feel like it hasn't been worth fishing the last 5+ years, that they aren't catching anything, etc. Most of my fishing the last few years has been from the surf, which I have been learning mostly from scratch with a kid in tow. I only do sporadic day trips and it's rare that I can hold his attention for more than 4-5 hours at a time. Even with all that, we rarely get skunked(and I'm not counting lizardfish, pinfish, etc.).
    cervus, and Sound-Side like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huffman View Post
    I have been fishing the piers on the NC and SC coasts since I was 6 yrs old. I am now 77. It has NOT been worth the trip to the coast for at least 5 yrs. The last time I fished Jennette's Pier on the Outer Bands, we fished two weeks (every day). In that time I caught exactly one decent Whiting.

I contribute this to two things.
    1. Commercial fishing boats are allow to drop their nets anywhere they please. No one is checking them for licenses or for legal catches. This should NOT be allowed to go on.
    2. Global Warming - It only takes a small warming of the world's oceans and seas to create disaster. I believe this has already happened. Either fish are spawning at different places or NOT at all.

I know it not going to happen in my life time, but people needed need to get their heads out of their asses and demand something done about it.
    Getting off my band wagon.
    I agree 100%.

2 things to add, over development and pollution.

Regarding global warming, the timing of runs has changed dramatically. The Fall run for most things was almost guaranteed in the middle 2 weeks of October back in the 70's and early 80's. Now it's almost a month later most years.
    Wellred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Solo View Post
    That's almost certainly true.

Otherwise, not to take away from arguments in favor of more commercial restrictions/net bans/etc. as I'm all in favor, but it does surprise me to hear people say they feel like it hasn't been worth fishing the last 5+ years, that they aren't catching anything, etc. Most of my fishing the last few years has been from the surf, which I have been learning mostly from scratch with a kid in tow. I only do sporadic day trips and it's rare that I can hold his attention for more than 4-5 hours at a time. Even with all that, we rarely get skunked(and I'm not counting lizardfish, pinfish, etc.).
    You're probably fishing a few hundred square yards in a trip, if you're like most surf fishermen.

With piers, you potentially have dozens of people fishing ~5x the area, and the catch is divided among those.
    Mathematically, your odds are much lower off a pier in most cases.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123