Kennedy 1/2 Dollar? Never heard of it

Thread: Kennedy 1/2 Dollar? Never heard of it

Default Kennedy 1/2 Dollar? Never heard of it

Today Greg and I hit the drive through at McD’s and the young lady turned my $.50 piece over and over without reading it and said, “What is this?” To which I said, Kennedy Half-Dollar. She studied it and tossed it up and let it fall back into her hand as if she was weighing it and said, “I’ve never heard of it.” I assured her it was real, but she still looked suspicious.
    Maybe I look suspicious?
    Please Don't block the ramp or the dock. My pontoon and crew cab require a wide berth.
    Dave, Teresa and Greg

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No, the cashier sounds like a typical melinial idiot...
    The first myth of management is that it exists!!
    Jim

Want to really blow some minds....take a fist full of $2 bills and proceed to pay
    Wellred likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Eisenhower dollars will freak people out, too.
    Red X angler

I wouldn't be carrying those coins/bills out anyway. The 1/2 dollar is getting rarer these days as is the silver dollar.

She's not an idiot. I'm sorry I implied she might be. She was guilty of being young, that's all. To her credit, she asked me what it was, so she must be a bright kid, just uniformed.

Yeah, Yesterday I would have liked to have blown some minds with a $2 bill or an Eisenhour, or a Susan B Anthony dollar. Anything for a laugh. Not today. Today, I am more humble and recognize my arrogance.

I wouldn’t be carrying a Kennedy half-dollar either, but I found it on the ground 30 mins earlier. I didn’t earn that $.50 it was a gift. I could have used that $.50 for a lot of things, instead I used it to demean an innocent highschool kid. Not only am I not a good fisherman, I’m not a good Christian witness either.
    Wellred likes this.

Please Don't block the ramp or the dock. My pontoon and crew cab require a wide berth.
    Dave, Teresa and Greg

well the Kennedy half dollar was 40% silver and likely worth a few dollars in silver weight above the .50 cent denomination, if that makes you feel better.
    4acres likes this.

The Kennedy had silver only in 1964. 1965 on were copper clad. Chances are it was worth.50.

Not even the IKE dollars, which are 40 years old, and you can excuse someone for not knowing them. ... Carry in some of the gold colored dollar coins... They look like play money.

I get these from a vending machine at work when I only have a $5 or $10 and I want a diet coke. And I try to spend them at McDonalds or dollar tree or such just for the fun of it.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Quote Originally Posted by tm4unc View Post
    The Kennedy had silver only in 1964. 1965 on were copper clad. Chances are it was worth.50.
    That's not true at all,,,,,,,,, actually 1964 were 90% silver, and then 1965 through 1969 were reduced to 40% silver.

Is it not a pity that kids today do NOT know the simplest bit of history. Had they only looked at it and read what was there; it would be obvious.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements