NC Angler Forums banner

New River State Park

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bonz 
#1 ·
Taking some kids for a camping trip in early October.

A few questions, any decent fishing around the park that can be waded? At that time of year, is top water still in play or should,I fish streamers? I’m assuming it depends on temps at the time.

#2 ·
Not a fly fisher....

Depends on where you are camping.

A good place to fish is at the bottom of the walk in campground at Wagner access. There are steps to the water there. Nice pool to the right that holds smallies.

Some decent smallies were caught wading from the boat launch at 221 access, especially along the far shore.

Where Roan creek meets the New River off Bill Bledsoe road, you might find some fish if you were to park there and walk down to the sand bar.

Finally, upstream of the low water bridge you might be able to wade a little.

#5 ·
I think it depends on when you are going and whether there has been a frost or two. Some think the fishing gets tough after that first frost....and topwater may not produce. Topwater is good right now....so just depends on how quick it turns cold. Water level is continuing to drop which makes wading a little easier is some areas and clarity is excellent. You might also consider a campsite at Riverside Canoeing, or Twin Rivers Campground in Crumpler....both on the S. Fork. Also Dusty Trails has some campsites in spots that may be good wading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.