Trout fishing newbie - Boone area
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout fishing newbie - Boone area

Default Trout fishing newbie - Boone area

Heading up to the Boone area in a few weeks to do some camping with the family. While I'm up there I was planning on doing some trout fishing. Never have before and I'm pretty excited to give it a shot. Have an ultra light spinning rod, and I bought some Panther Martin spinners, and I was planning on hitting up the Valle Crucis park. Apparently it's a good (and popular) spot. Any other spots I should check out? I see that Dutch Creek runs right behind the Mast General Store there, and the guy from the campground said that's a good spot to fish. So I may check that out too.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I did my research so I *think* I'm aware of all the strict trout regulations. Ordered my trout fishing license and got the spinners with a single hook due to the Delayed Harvest rules. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Delayed harvest will be in full swing by the time of your vist, familiar with other types of river fishing? the spots you mentioned are a solid place to start as a beginner. Some of my first trout came from Valle Crucis a number of years back
    JM76 likes this.

Thanks! I've actually never fished a river or a creek. Lakes and ponds only. Should be a new experience!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've been to that Park many times as recent as 3 weeks ago when we spent the week up there. It is a uniquely great Park, unlike any I've seen personally. you're not too far away from the South holston River in Tennessee and you didn't mention if you know how to fly fish but that is an incredible fishery about an hour away. The South holston fly shop does many guided trips and drift boats if that sort of thing interest you. I'm not sure if you can spin fish on that River or not but a quick call to the fly shop would clarify that. Over yonder is a great restaurant near the mast farm general store, we ate there three times on our recent week-long trip up there. Upscale country food if I had to classify, but unusually good food.
    JM76 likes this.

2016 Kencraft Bay Rider 2260 w/Yamaha 150
    NuCanoe Frontier 12 ><(((((*>

Great info, thank you! Assuming the park gets really crowded on the weekends? I'll probably go there on Sunday morning, as early as I can to hopefully beat the crowd. Then maybe again on Monday and maybe Tuesday before I head home.
    Nope, no fly fishing, although it does look like something I'd like try eventually.

Will def check out that restaurant you suggested!

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I've been to that Park many times as recent as 3 weeks ago when we spent the week up there. It is a uniquely great Park, unlike any I've seen personally. you're not too far away from the South holston River in Tennessee and you didn't mention if you know how to fly fish but that is an incredible fishery about an hour away. The South holston fly shop does many guided trips and drift boats if that sort of thing interest you. I'm not sure if you can spin fish on that River or not but a quick call to the fly shop would clarify that. Over yonder is a great restaurant near the mast farm general store, we ate there three times on our recent week-long trip up there. Upscale country food if I had to classify, but unusually good food.

A few miles downstream of valle crucis park is another delayed harvest section of the watauga with great parking at 321 access. Also a quick drive across town will take you to the south fork new river which has a delayed harvest section at Todd Island Park. Both rivers offer excellent smallmouth bass fishing as well. Trout fishing is definitely better in the spring unless you are at the freshly stocked delayed harvest waters. Pray for rain before your visit because right now we are in a moderate drought and the streams are extremely low and clear.
    JM76, and SurfRider like this.

Great info guys, thanks so much! I have some spinners but have been thinking about picking up some trout magnets as well. Any preferences / suggestions?

Just don't forget, if you're fishing DH waters with spinning gear, no treble hooks allowed! I used to either clip two of the hooks off or swap the treble for a single hook. Can't even use double-hook flies or lures, although you can fish 2-single hook flies (dry and dropper, double dry, double nymph, etc.).
    finstalker, and JM76 like this.

Lifelong fishing nut. Wish I was fishin, instead of wishing!

Trout magnets in pink or white and you'll clean up on the stocked fish. If you happen to throw plastics, make sure they aren't scent treated.
    JM76 likes this.

Red X angler

If you can find a guide to get out on the South Holston, it's an absolutely beautiful river and has some nice trout in it. Hope you catch 'em up!
    JM76 likes this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Quote Originally Posted by slickrocktom View Post
    Trout magnets in pink or white and you'll clean up on the stocked fish. If you happen to throw plastics, make sure they aren't scent treated.
    Go with the chrome jigheads too.
    JM76 likes this.

Red X Angler

Thanks so much for all the info guys! About 3 weeks until my trip. Literally counting down the days. I'm just hoping to catch one and I'll be satisfied.

Thanks! I read that last week so I went ahead and ordered two Panther Martin spinners with single hooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sekod View Post
    Just don't forget, if you're fishing DH waters with spinning gear, no treble hooks allowed! I used to either clip two of the hooks off or swap the treble for a single hook. Can't even use double-hook flies or lures, although you can fish 2-single hook flies (dry and dropper, double dry, double nymph, etc.).

Here is one I caught in the Boone area, using the technique I told ya about. Think Pink Hope you or your daughter hook into one like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Large brood Rainbow.jpg‎
Views:	28
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	195865
    JM76 likes this.

Depending on where your fishing another very effective trick. About 10-12" above your spinner tie on a dry fly. Big browns, brooks and smallmouth go crazy, they think its a minnow chasing a bug
    JM76 likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast