Little Switzerland area for smallmouth bass?

Thread: Little Switzerland area for smallmouth bass?

Default Little Switzerland area for smallmouth bass?

Headed up to Little Switzerland for 3 or 4 days the last week of October. Itís a wedding anniversary trip, but my bride says I can have a day for fishing, so I am requesting general information about the area. I can either bank fish, or do a flat water kayak float, and am mainly interested in smallies on ultra-light and light spinning gear.

Hoping that some of you can point me in the general direction of a couple places within an hour of Little Switzerland. I have not been up there since 1995, so I have practically NO knowledge of the area. Any help will be greatly appreciated...and thanks in advance!
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not a hard drive to Linville if that is an option. Be sure to get a bbq plate at Little Switzerland Cafe!
    Chris52 likes this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

North Toe has some smallies. Linville has a great population. Rapalas in CD 5-7 and white Twister tail type grubs are (were) my go to. 1/4 oz. Panther Martins in Black Gold are awesome, too. That's Leaf Peeper season, so get used to slow traffic and crowds.
    Chris52 likes this.

Red X angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I seem to remember something about a chemical spill or ‘unlawful discharge’ into the North Toe around Spruce Pine last year, and that there was a major fish kill. Can you tell me how the area is doing now?

Quote Originally Posted by crappie89 View Post
    Not a hard drive to Linville if that is an option. Be sure to get a bbq plate at Little Switzerland Cafe!
    Where would be a good place to access the Linville river? Any fishing at the pool at the bottom of the falls? Again, how is access? An easy hike?

I'd hit the Toe around the Toecane area. Linville is best suited for experienced rock hoppers from the hills.
    Chris52, and jerry condrey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpossumtail View Post
    I'd hit the Toe around the Toecane area. Linville is best suited for experienced rock hoppers from the hills.
    I have been looking at the Google Maps sat views for this location, as well as in and around Riverside Park at Spruce Pine. I have also been looking at the Huntdale Road Bridge area, near the Dale Peterson Store.

Any advice or tips? I have put together a collection of single hook lures, jigs, spinners, grubs, craws, and tube baits. I will be using ultra light and light spinning gear. I also have a handful of flies I can pitch with a casting bubble. Any other suggestions?

Spinners, grubs and craws will catch smallmouth and rock bass.

Good luck
    Chris52 likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements