Raleigh, end of September

Thread: Raleigh, end of September

Default Raleigh, end of September

Help a newbie? I've spent hours at nearby lakes, bank or pier, worms and bobbers, or artificial minnows, or shiny spoons, and I'm getting NOTHING. Is anybody doing well at lakes in the Raleigh area, and what's the secret?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not sure what kind of water you are fishing but on the big lakes the bass are starting to transition between summer places and fall places... with that being said the fish are pretty scattered out, unpredictable and hard to pattern. Best thing to do is cover water until you find an area where the fish are at. Look for baitfish and herons, that is usually a sign of life in the area.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

I just spent the weekend at Falls Lake. Bank fishing is going to be tough for bass right now. Like the other gentleman said, bass are in transition right now from deep to shallow. So, they’re “in the middle” of that if that makes sense. I caught all my bass this weekend on main lake points, 10-15 ft of water, with a bottom digging crank bait or a jig. Hope that helps...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AC4RD View Post
    Help a newbie? I've spent hours at nearby lakes, bank or pier, worms and bobbers, or artificial minnows, or shiny spoons, and I'm getting NOTHING. Is anybody doing well at lakes in the Raleigh area, and what's the secret?
    What species are you targeting? Crappie are hitting jigs right now like crazy. bass fishing is tough from banks right now. Topwater might pick up,if it ever cools off
    2020 LMB Total :82; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:13; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:60 biggest:1.5#

Many thanks, gentlemen! Spidey, I am not "targeting" anything but any darned thing with scales that will hit any of the bait I've put in the water. I've seen a couple of small sunfish/crappies taken in hours and hours of trying, but it seems like nobody else at the places I'm going, is doing any good either.

I'll just keep trying and hope cooler weather helps me out. Thank y'all!
    --ken (ac4rd)

FWIW.... I find that 90% of the fish that hit real worms are sunfish and perch...Larger fish seem to like lures. Maybe 1-2% of my lifetime bass came on worms.

Crappie seem to be more into minnows.

My bass catching went way up when I learned to use a Senko. Incredible at pulling bass out of ponds and lakes. I think they move like a crayfish... drive bass nuts.

While they don't work for me, lots of people seem to like beetle spin lures.

Keep in mind that when bank fishing, you are in the same spot that a dozen other people have fished in the last 24 hours.... The fish get used to lures and worms. High pressure areas.

If you can get access to a pond... maybe in an apartment complex that isn't crazy with security, you will have a little more luck. I really mastered the senko in an apartment complex in Winston.... would catch a bass or 5 every time I spent an hour out there. And people fishing with crank baits, live worms, etc, would just stare in wonder.
    badankles likes this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    FWIW.... I find that 90% of the fish that hit real worms are sunfish and perch...Larger fish seem to like lures. Maybe 1-2% of my lifetime bass came on worms.

Crappie seem to be more into minnows.

My bass catching went way up when I learned to use a Senko. Incredible at pulling bass out of ponds and lakes. I think they move like a crayfish... drive bass nuts.

While they don't work for me, lots of people seem to like beetle spin lures.

Keep in mind that when bank fishing, you are in the same spot that a dozen other people have fished in the last 24 hours.... The fish get used to lures and worms. High pressure areas.

If you can get access to a pond... maybe in an apartment complex that isn't crazy with security, you will have a little more luck. I really mastered the senko in an apartment complex in Winston.... would catch a bass or 5 every time I spent an hour out there. And people fishing with crank baits, live worms, etc, would just stare in wonder.
    agree on pressure i dont fish my usual lake from april til november I wait till its cold and no one else is out. not alot of lakes around raleigh that have lots of bank access so like biglenr said someone was likely in the spot before you.
    2020 LMB Total :82; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:13; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:60 biggest:1.5#

I am not "targeting" anything but any darned thing with scales that will hit any of the bait I've put in the water.
    First off are you moving around if shoreline fishing or fishing from a boat ? In either case, moving around when an area isn't producing increases your odds of locating fish.

Second, there is a huge number of search lures that cover water in search of fish. Some may not produce as well as others, but the idea is to use lures (or live bait) to find fish when sonar isn't available. You find fish when the lure or bait provokes them to strike and maybe reveal lure and location patterns.

My all time productive lure is a ball head jig with soft plastic lure. The lure can be as simple as the end of a plastic worm minus curl tail:

This very large crappie hit a jig I tied dog hair on (from my border collie):

A Beetle Spin (as was mentioned) and large curl tail grub caught this large crappie:

I joined the bodies of two grubs after removing the curl tails and catch everything:

Crankbaits cover water - especially when trolled behind a boat:

Gary Y's KutTail Worm is a winner when attached to a light ball head jig:

Going back to a lure pattern that fish tells you which is better: It take into account how fast you need to retrieve a lure. When I troll crankbaits, #2 speed on the Minn Kota is all I need; when cranking them, a steady retrieve does the trick. A light jig and plastic can be retrieved many ways and at different speeds. Lure size should be taken into account: sometimes even small fish will strike large lures or fish in general may strike mostly smaller lures:

At other times smaller and slower is better especially after a front moves through such as using a Crappie Magnet (sold on line) on a 1/16 oz jig head:

Swimbaits cover a lot of water and can be cast way out and are hit by different species:

Just remember to let the lure find the fish; all you have to do is make sure of a good hook set. As shown above, many lure designs may work even during the same outing. Keep an open mind and don't give up hope.

Gentlemen, I said "help a newbie," but I had NO IDEA how much help I was going to get! Thank you all, thanks very much! --ken ac4rd

SenkoSam, that was one of the greatest all time fishing posts!

Thanks for the share of information and the pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Bill. The proof is in the photos. Recently a post on crappie.com showed an excellent variety of lures and fish connected to them that reveals once more that you can never tell when it comes to what fish will strike. A crappieon a Rat L Trap was shown?!!!! I never would have thought it possible until I saw his photos - same for the bluegill on a crankbait !!

We all have our favorites - many that are chosen for the wrong reasons - superstition and misleading ads and information just two of them. But after a while you begin to see a consensus of what works most of the time, some of the time or rarely. I'm constantly searching for lure designs (and anything else that's pertinent that allows those lures to work) and passing it on to anyone with the curiosity to experiment in the waters they fish.

In that light I going to next start concentrating on using the Ned Rig and drop shot in deep water. But instead of holding the rod, I'm going to let the boat drift- pulling the rigs along bottom the same as pulling crankbaits while trolling with no angler rod/reel manipulation. Who knows - it could very well be as big a winner as trolling crankbaits using a certain trolling motor speed !

If I didn't feel the need to find new ways and lures to catch fish, I'd just use live bait under a float - a combo almost guaranteed to catch fish. ​But where's the challenge in that!
    badankles likes this.

I bank fish too and don’t even bother with the big reservoirs. Creeks, ponds, streams etc where I can cast across the whole thing is where I go. I can cover small water more thoroughly and I’m sure I’m getting my lure in front of fish. Simple tactics, usually black rubber worm or watermelon senko weightless, a rooster tail, and top waters during low light conditions. You can catch anything that swims with live minnows, if you use worms plenty of bream and bullhead. Creek bass aren’t big on average but there are nice ones, also big bowfin, chain pickerel, and all types of catfish and bream inhabit these very skinny waters. The bass in the picture was caught under a bridge in a small creek, she was in a park of the creek maybe only 2ft wide and a foot deep but she was eating anything she saw. I only needed one cast with a senko style worm. So skip the lakes and look for streams, creeks, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	063A00DF-629B-45DA-9F1C-2EDA0559F2AA_1571516858201.jpg‎
Views:	13
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	196025

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements