NC Angler Forums banner

A Taste of the Rockies

Fly 
2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  badankles 
#1 ·
Just got back recently from our first visit to the Colorado Rockies. It was just the wife and I, and our goal was to explore the mountain colors with some hiking and touristing around the area. We flew into Vail, stayed at Frisco and Breckinridge, so these are photos from that area. Sorry if too much, but we were really impressed with the aspen colors and a little bit of revelation as to the bareness of it, too. Also, altitude sickness is real. I recovered after a couple of days, especially with the help of air-in-the-can, but my wife struggled through most of the week.

Anyway, I decided to also pack my travel 5wt and little tenkara rod, since it fits in the same tube. Holy smokes, the place is trout fishing heaven. I mostly Googled it during breaks, and saw some of the water during the drive-by’s and hikes. The missus was good enough to let me break out the rods during a stop at a mountain lake, which I returned later in the week for a bit more “exploring”. These guys were supposedly stocked rainbows, but were much more aggressive than our NC ones. Lots of surface action, dry flies and acrobats. I got a taste and jonesing to make it official in the future. Any takers?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You got it. BTW, I still consider myself quite noob to the fly fishing thing. Heck, to all fishing things. Fishing can be quite complicated, but also quite simple. I'm trying to stick to the simple side of it...Haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.