RED X The Doctor was In...the fish.

Thread: The Doctor was In...the fish.

Default The Doctor was In...the fish.

Spent a few days on the Southern OBX with 3 friends with whom Iíve been doing a Fall trip with for a couple of decades. Like the Red X folks it was filled with laughter, food and fishing.

We both kayaked and surf fished. The marsh areas were slow for us with a few endangered species flounder and shorty reds. The surf fishing was much better. We fished a honey hole we called The Ledge, located on an inlet as it was a sheer drop off right on the bank around low tide. It was epic. It was also snag filled so we absconded with the C-Rigs and went to basic bottom rigs which keep your hooks off the bottom. We still used circle hooks though. The mullet blow was in full swing.

We caught at least a dozen different species including reds, blacks, Spanish, blues, flounder, ugly bottom feeders such as sea robins, blow toads etc. Even a juvenile Cobia. Cut bait worked much better than live finger mullet. Here are some photos of the best fish and food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks good

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Red X Angler - When we catch and release we don't want to eat it, we just want to make it late for something.

Wow, nice mixed bag.
    ~JOE~
    Solo Dei Gloria

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks like you guys had a great time.

As much as I hate to admit it, it looks like the fishing may have been a bit better where you were than it was at Bay River M&G. Although I did manage to get a picture of a large fish out of water, call it a Merman if you will, that I will keep as black mail for the next several years at least, so we did have a good time as well. I may even be able to show you that picture with the right persuasion.
    GreyGhost, and h2ohhh like this.

Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by quest4reds View Post
    Looks like you guys had a great time.

As much as I hate to admit it, it looks like the fishing may have been a bit better where you were than it was at Bay River M&G. Although I did manage to get a picture of a large fish out of water, call it a Merman if you will, that I will keep as black mail for the next several years at least, so we did have a good time as well. I may even be able to show you that picture with the right persuasion.
    Oh I can be quite persuasive using my mountain brew lip loosener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GreyGhost, and quest4reds like this.

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

Very nice!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Marky Mark Representing with that rain jacket! Great job on the ultra rare and endanger doormattis fishflatimus! That's one to add to your life list and remove from your bucket list! Jealous of that boil...
    "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been"
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by lostnwilderness View Post
    Marky Mark Representing with that rain jacket! Great job on the ultra rare and endanger doormattis fishflatimus! That's one to add to your life list and remove from your bucket list! Jealous of that boil...
    Well next time you should accompany us. When you're not building a new mansion bordering national Forest....

The Flatimus Maximus was a (not) surprisingly common catch on this trip. Robinous Seamus, thought to be extinct, was also rediscovered as was Toadius Uglyus. The Smithsonian is investigating.

Marky Mark had both the best fish and rain jacket. I landed the pig for him and someone snapped a pic of me trying to hold it up.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements