Advise Welcome. Inshore Trout, reds..... What to look for... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advise Welcome. Inshore Trout, reds..... What to look for...

I'm finding fish in the creeks but the problem is finding big fish. I can catch undersized reds and seatrout all day long under a popping cork but rarely can I get a keeper. Do I need to leave the creeks? I would prefer to stay in the creeks with my kayak or fish from my dock.
    Saltwater Republic likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax97x View Post
    I'm finding fish in the creeks but the problem is finding big fish. I can catch undersized reds and seatrout all day long under a popping cork but rarely can I get a keeper. Do I need to leave the creeks? I would prefer to stay in the creeks with my kayak or fish from my dock.
    Keep moving. Trout typically school by size. If you catch 2-3 small trout in a row chances are thats all that's around. They also tend to be more aggressive and will get to the bait first. I'd move until I found bigger fish. If that wasn't working or you don't have the option of moving I'd try a big bait the little ones would be less likely to go after.

Have caught small trout in one creek and keepers in another many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax97x View Post
    Yes leave the creek & the small fish. Forget the cork.
    Start throwing topwaters & X-raps to search for bigger fish. Both great search baits....... ICM
    Ajax97x, and Saltwater Republic like this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thank you for the advice and tips. Will try this year sometimes. Hope you keep catching

Yea thats happened to me many times. I have become a good student of observing others techniques and trying to mimic them. Ive been learning (This is the first year I have really concentrated on fake bait.) Billy bay shrimp. Finding the 1/2 oz works best for the 7-9 ft holes (with slight current) Letting it drift w/ current and bounce off bottom. Never used mirrolure before but planon trying this year. I have been watching and ready all I can on them and uses. Saw Lee Parsons talks on the (Youtube)

Side note I did try night fishing under full moon and caught my 1st top water trout (or fish for that matter) 1 and only 1 that night. But learned.

Watched eastern currents last night and guide sheepishly mentioned he liked the ned rig. Might pick up someand try.

Thanks again

Think you got a case of the dreaded Trout addiction.
    Watching every video, buying every lure, tying every new idea.
    Stop wait a minute, breath, relax, enjoy. It doesn't go away.
    Welcome to my ( our ) world.......ICM
    travman likes this.

Don't know if my reply posted or not but. . .. trout seem to be a big puzzle hopefully I will figure out all the pieces

No problem, just fish where the fish are......ICM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCN5560 (2).jpg‎
Views:	232
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	196047 Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCN5563 (2).jpg‎
Views:	218
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	196049
    Saltwater Republic likes this.

Great pictures, this is all great advise, thanks for the good thread! When everyone who talks about fishing a popping cork are you fishing live baits or soft plastics? I have caught trout on a variety of Z man soft plastics by jigging but have not caught any under a cork.

"Real men don't fish or need popping corks" is my motto ......ICM

Thats good to Know....I will just stick to my soft plastic jigging!
    ice cream man likes this.

I really never fish a popping cork. Ive never seen them out fish anything else and they are a lot of work and will wear you down. I will say it is a good rig for people who are starting out because its pretty easy to just jerk the rod and repeat. Not a lot of finesse required. You could use it until you gain more confidence in other baits.
    ice cream man likes this.

I use a popping cork and keep one tied on and ready for certain situations. It works great over stump fields, areas full of oysters and while you are taking a break to eat a sandwich. It is not my go to setup/lure but more times than I could count it caught more fish than other methods I used that day. Caught two trout last Saturday back to back slightly over 21" on the popping cork while I sat to eat. I only use artificial shrimp with it.

I have tried using popping corks before but have been unsuccessful. The only time I have gotten hits is with live shrimp, none with artificial. I will probably keep trying them every now and then until something clicks. Until then I’ll keep tossing my jig the most.

This whole post is the story of my life. Went out last weekend around EI and tried several different spots that I know are supposed to have a hot trout bite. Didn’t seem to be anyone catching any. Tide was coming in so maybe that was it. Tried corks, MR17 and plastics. Nada. Headed back this week and plan on fishing those same spots and several more but on a falling tide to see if that helps. I get confused because I see guides posting daily that they can’t keep the fish out of the boat and it seems to be on a rising tide. But then I tell myself they do it everyday for a living. I’m just a hack! Hopefully I’ll figure it out this trip but until then I am like the OP. Reading everything I can. Researching. I’ve caught trout on corks, MR17s and plastics in the last so I don’t know that it’s my technique.
    Cpt. Hook likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast