Advise Welcome. Inshore Trout, reds..... What to look for... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advise Welcome. Inshore Trout, reds..... What to look for...

I feel the same way. Seeing pictures of a hot trout bite from guides, getting amped to go and then.... a slow day. I know I have a lot of learning left to do but am glad I stumbled across this forum for all the great tips and advise. Makes me feel like I am at least in the right ball park on what I am doing to catch good numbers of fish. Fished behind Bald Head two weekends ago and plan to go this weekend to try out a lot of these lures and tips! Hopefully we are both more successful and have better stuff to report back!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Jmatt I just bumped a thread that helped me out a lot. Read the beginning part especially. PM me and I'll send you my very limited knowledge of the EI/Swansboro area.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Cpt. Hook likes this.

"...the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations... I have really good days." - Ray Wylie Hubbard

That thread should be on an automatic bump every year! Really good information!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post
    "Real men don't fish or need popping corks" is my motto ......ICM
    They throw topwaters all day, even when the experts say not to.
    This 5#plus Trout blew up my topwater several times before he ate...... ICM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20191022_134918_608.jpg‎
Views:	266
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	196069
    salpal likes this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Heel,
    Thanks for that thread. Tried PMing you but says I don’t have the permissions. Not sure if that’s because I am relatively new here or what.

Nice catch Billy!
    Chris - Trash Fish Extraordinaire! - 17' Twin Vee skiff - Discovery 124F kayak

Hey, yea I know 1 guide. Very good rep. But he does post some old picts. sometimes when he has a opening..

Also try a plastic shrimp. Ive done decent with those. Betts perfect sinkers (or other brands should work) . Fishing the deeper holes you need a heavy one. Was feeling it hit bottom and and catching a oyster shell every so often) They sell a 1/2 oz. to get it down before the current sweeps it off target. (This is what I am seeing so far this year) Did catch one on a zman paddle tail this weekend during the rain. (almost top of rising tide)

Yes i feel the frustration looking at the picts also But I remind myself they do it everyday and thats their job to know where the fish are.

Keep at it as the water temps drop lower and lower the bite will be on fire and everyone will be an expert.

Have gone to cork when every cast resulted in a snag. When snagged, we go get it rather than break off. Have not tried rigging weedless

Quote Originally Posted by heelwithnoname View Post
    Jmatt I just bumped a thread that helped me out a lot. Read the beginning part especially. PM me and I'll send you my very limited knowledge of the EI/Swansboro area.

So Heel,

I gotta ask if you were fishing on Saturday around EI.....Do you have a skiff with Tar Heel stuff on the side?

Me and 2 buddies went out Saturday. We started in a spot, fished EVERYTHING lure we had except live shrimp and got Nada. Moved around to numerous other spots with only a 20" flounder to show(I landed that too). We decided to head back to the hole we started in that morning.

We continued to try everything we had. Noticed some guys behind us catching trout. When in doubt....we eased over and asked what they were catching them on. They were nice enough to oblige as they could tell we were frustrated.

I had ONE of those my box I hadn't tried all day, only thing I didn't try, stupid me, the only one of them on the boat. Tied it on, made 5 casts and BAM! 20" speck on the boat. Several casts later BAM another one, this one probably 22-23".

Passed the rod around to my two buddies but they never could get anything. Guess it was just my touch or my luck........and the useful info of a fellow fisherman.

Anyways, if it was you, thanks, you made my day. I didn't share what I caught it on here, because if it was you Heel, I don't want to make ya mad sharing the secret!! I know how some guys get about stuff like that, so will respect ya and not share.

So, question for you guys, trout fishing (but also when drum fishing) with artificial, not talking bait. How long are you sitting on a spot, if at all? Are you on trolling motor power beating the bank/docks/oyster bed/etc. until you get on fish, constantly moving? Once you find fish, do you sit on anchor/spot lock/powerpole for XX amount of time before moving?

I typically fish an area that might require some trolling around but I have a pretty good idea of where the fish should be do to years and years in the area i fish. i will give it about 15 min. If i havent caught anything ill move. Sometimes its right down the creek/river to another spot or ill make a run to another creek. If catching fish you just stop however you want, spot/lock/powerpole/anchor, whatever you got. If fish stop biting ill troll around the area close by trying to find them. if its been 15 or so minutes and i cant find them ill move.
    ice cream man, and ste6168 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by heelwithnoname View Post

Hey Heel,

Were you fishing around EI on Saturday? Went down with two buddies, fished everywhere, tried everything, plastics, corks with DOA's MR-17's. Couldn't get a single trout to bite. Fished close to the inlet around the grass, queens creek, around school house then decided to work around behind Bear Island, but no trout, caught one nice 20" flounder, but had to throw him back. There were tons of boats around Bear but noone seemed to be catching anything.

Went back to where we had started Saturday morning thinking after the tide shift we may catch something. We tried everything we had and couldn't get a bite. Asked a nice guy in a boat with Tar Heel stuff on the side what they were biting on after we had seen him catch a few. Didn't know if this was you!!! He shared that they were hitting sinking mirrorlures. CRAP! I had one sinking in the tackle box and it was the only thing I hadn't tried. Within 15 minutes I put 2 nice size trout on the boat. I was the only one with a sinking lure on the boat. Passed it around and let my buddies have a whip but they never could land anything.

Anyways, if that was you on that boat Heel, thanks again.

I have never really tried artif bait much for trout matter of fact just started trout fishing a few years ago (Never had the opportunity when growing up "No Boat").

This year I am trying all artif. If I have knew of a place fished (Live bait ) in the past has had trout I have anchored and sat on it. Throwing artif shrimp or grubs. So far have done pretty good.

this weekend i finally tried the trolling motor up a creek. My problem has been I never knew what to do... Troll stop cast cast, move.... troll stop cast cast...... Or keep moving and not stopping while casting.

So I put the motor on lowest speed so I barely moved down ( up) the creek and cast. Sometimes to the banks sometimes down the middle. I found all my fish was caught down the middle on this day. I suspect they were on the move up the creek. Nothing real big but good eating size. 17-18's couple rat reds. I am building confidence in my artif. bait ability. but then again with all the trout in the water, its a great year to try something new to me and learn.

Any tips from the experienced guys please let me know.

I used zman white pogy.

This is what I found works for me.
    Before I go I want to know the tide, wind direction / speed, water clarity & solunar bite time.
    These elements help me determine where, what & how to fish.
    Will be throwing into the wind, across or against it? Heavier jig head, suspending or deep falling lure?
    Personally, I always start with topwaters to find them.

Have I fished there before or is new?
    Can I put my boat on the bank, fish the sweep or do I need to anchor?
    Will I be anchored, fishing towards the bank or away from the bank?
    Where are the rips, what direction is it flowing? Do I want to be above it or below the rip?

As far as the trolling motor.
    Enough forward speed to cast, spot lock when I hook a fish or blow up.
    Stop catching, what changed? Tide, boat traffic, they moved?
    Fan cast, long no twitch, short cast fast twitch. Speed up retrieve or slow it down?
    Change lures several times to find what they want before moving on.
    Move 50 to 100 feet? Or just try another location.

Cast & repeat another 745 times. .......
    This simple formula is what works for me.......
    Hope this helps ........ICM
    skinnyfisher likes this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post
    This is what I found works for me.
    Before I go I want to know the tide, wind direction / speed, water clarity & solunar bite time.
    These elements help me determine where, what & how to fish.
    Will be throwing into the wind, across or against it? Heavier jig head, suspending or deep falling lure?
    Personally, I always start with topwaters to find them.

Have I fished there before or is new?
    Can I put my boat on the bank, fish the sweep or do I need to anchor?
    Will I be anchored, fishing towards the bank or away from the bank?
    Where are the rips, what direction is it flowing? Do I want to be above it or below the rip?

As far as the trolling motor.
    Enough forward speed to cast, spot lock when I hook a fish or blow up.
    Stop catching, what changed? Tide, boat traffic, they moved?
    Fan cast, long no twitch, short cast fast twitch. Speed up retrieve or slow it down?
    Change lures several times to find what they want before moving on.
    Move 50 to 100 feet? Or just try another location.

Cast & repeat another 745 times. .......
    This simple formula is what works for me.......
    Hope this helps ........ICM
    Seems simple enough, now all of us will be catching as good as you.
    ice cream man likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast